Grunty

I'm not having any luck tracking down info on laws about making personal
(not for sale) guns.

You need a manufacturer's or gunsmith license, whether you are "not
going to sell them" or otherwise.

Otherwise:
__________________________________________________ __
This is your bum: )°(

This is your bum when the BATF gets through with you )O(
__________________________________________________ __

Will

I've read otherwise, at least concerning building a firearm from an 80%
completed reciever. You can buy a reciever that is only 80% complete, along
with a stock, barrel, and everything else needed do make a gun w/o it being
considered a firearm. You can then finish the reciever yourself and assemble
a new firearm made by you. As far as legality, I've seen copies of several
letters from the ATF saying that if you build a gun that complies with
existing laws (and assuming there are no local laws) and keep it for
yourself, it is perfectly legal. http://www.acmearms.com/80percentfaq.php
discusses the subject and has links to a letter from someone at th BATF. So
I'm assuming that if it is legal to build a gun from an 80% reciever (only a
piece of metal as far as the feds are concerned), then it would be legal to
build a gun from scratch, for personal use that complies w/ all existing
laws, that is.

-Will

"Grunty" wrote in message

I'm not having any luck tracking down info on laws about making
personal
(not for sale) guns.

You need a manufacturer's or gunsmith license, whether you are "not
going to sell them" or otherwise.

Otherwise:
__________________________________________________ __
This is your bum: )°(

This is your bum when the BATF gets through with you )O(
__________________________________________________ __

SteveF

"Grunty" wrote in message

I'm not having any luck tracking down info on laws about making
personal
(not for sale) guns.

You need a manufacturer's or gunsmith license, whether you are "not
going to sell them" or otherwise.

Otherwise:
__________________________________________________ __
This is your bum: )°(

This is your bum when the BATF gets through with you )O(
__________________________________________________ __

Sorry wrong answer.

Perfectly legal to build your own firearms as long as it is not a type
covered by the National Firearms Act or otherwise restricted by your state
or local laws.

Manufacturer's license is only needed if you intend to sell. Read the ATF
web site http://www.atf.treas.gov/

Steve.

rhncue

It's been a long time and the laws have probably changed some since I
had a dealers license but if I remember right if you made a receiver and
never had a manufacturing license, it had to have a tax stamp and I believe
it was 200.00 per stamp in the late 70's early 80's. I believe they had it
that high to discourage people from building guns.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building fine pool cues for real pool players at affordable prices.
"SteveF" wrote in message
. com...

"Grunty" wrote in message

I'm not having any luck tracking down info on laws about making
personal
(not for sale) guns.

You need a manufacturer's or gunsmith license, whether you are "not
going to sell them" or otherwise.

Otherwise:
__________________________________________________ __
This is your bum: )°(

This is your bum when the BATF gets through with you )O(
__________________________________________________ __

Sorry wrong answer.

Perfectly legal to build your own firearms as long as it is not a type
covered by the National Firearms Act or otherwise restricted by your state
or local laws.

Manufacturer's license is only needed if you intend to sell. Read the ATF
web site http://www.atf.treas.gov/

Steve.

Pswski

_________________________________________________ ___
This is your bum: )°(

This is your bum when the BATF gets through with you )O(
__________________________________

Check out http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a7
and
http://www.savvysurvivor.com/law_res...uilt_firea.htm
SteveF

"rhncue" wrote in message
It's been a long time and the laws have probably changed some since I
had a dealers license but if I remember right if you made a receiver and
never had a manufacturing license, it had to have a tax stamp and I
believe it was 200.00 per stamp in the late 70's early 80's. I believe
they had it that high to discourage people from building guns.
Dick

--

That was for building a firearm covered under the NFA. For example, if you
wanted a Thompson submachine gun you could apply for and buy the tax stamp,

Steve.

Nick Hull

In article ,
Cliff wrote:

the mind is the best defense you have, you don't need a gun.

Tell that to your wife when she is cornered by the rapist in the
Walmart parking lot.

How many times has your "wife" used that as an excuse?

Every Thursday

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:19:36 -0500, Grunty wrote:

I'm not having any luck tracking down info on laws about making personal
(not for sale) guns.

You need a manufacturer's or gunsmith license, whether you are "not
going to sell them" or otherwise.

It depends on many many things. Random speculation in a newsgroup is
worth exactly nothing on this topic, sorry. If you post to rec.guns,
or google it, you'll find pointers to the specific BATF regulations
on the topic.

This isn't an area to guess and speculate. There are a number of
criteria that, if met, make making your own firearms perfectly legal
within certain limitations.

Dave Hinz

You can make your own black powder mussel loading gun or cap and ball
revolver without a gunsmith or manufactures license. You can even buy kits
for them.
KT

OOPS! That is muzzle loading, not mussel loading...
Grunty

Perfectly legal to build your own firearms as long as it is not a type
covered by the National Firearms Act or otherwise restricted by your state
or local laws.

In some states, that is a pretty small list.

Manufacturer's license is only needed if you intend to sell. Read the ATF
web site http://www.atf.treas.gov/

There are people around who feel that not much they say in public
means much, and that they make up the rules after they kick your door
down.
Or drive a tank through it, if you happen to run a non-approved
church..

Not attracting their attention would be a prudent choice for people
who feel this way.
SteveF

"Grunty" wrote in message

Perfectly legal to build your own firearms as long as it is not a type
covered by the National Firearms Act or otherwise restricted by your state
or local laws.

In some states, that is a pretty small list.

Manufacturer's license is only needed if you intend to sell. Read the ATF
web site http://www.atf.treas.gov/

There are people around who feel that not much they say in public
means much, and that they make up the rules after they kick your door
down.
Or drive a tank through it, if you happen to run a non-approved
church..

Not attracting their attention would be a prudent choice for people
who feel this way.

I would imagine that Randy Weaver is one of those people who feel that way.

Steve.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 04:22:10 GMT, wrote:
OOPS! That is muzzle loading, not mussel loading...

Darn, I was looking forward to shooting a few clams.

Rex B

That would be the original Clamshell Receiver design.
Definitely a single-shot.
Get a patent.