Tom Gardner

Default Finding dowel pins in ground surface?

Is there a way to make dowel pins show in a ground D-2 die part that has two
5/32" pins that blend in perfectly? I use the random punch method now.
I've tried holding them up to the light to no avail.

Bob

You could use a dye-penetrant spray like those sold for finding cracks
in wire terminals and other fittings. Or try mixing a little layout
dye into some penetrating oil and coating the part. Let it sit for a
while, then wipe off. The outlines of the pins should show up.
Regards,

Bob

Dan

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
Is there a way to make dowel pins show in a ground D-2 die part that has
two 5/32" pins that blend in perfectly? I use the random punch method
now. I've tried holding them up to the light to no avail.

Tom,
Try this stuff (magnetic particle bath)

Dan

Joe

Can you wire wheel the surface? Might make them show up better than putting
dings all over the place until you find them.

--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

My eBay Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
Is there a way to make dowel pins show in a ground D-2 die part that has
two 5/32" pins that blend in perfectly? I use the random punch method
now. I've tried holding them up to the light to no avail.

Tom Miller

A company called "Magnaflux" ?used to make equipment for checking cylinder
heads for cracks. They had a powerful magnet that latched onto the head. A
little puff pack then was used to spray powdered iron in the suspect area.
The powder built up around any discontinuity in the magnetic lines of force,
and showed up cracks even when they weren't visible otherwise.
Tom

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
Is there a way to make dowel pins show in a ground D-2 die part that has

two
5/32" pins that blend in perfectly? I use the random punch method now.
I've tried holding them up to the light to no avail.

Gunner

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:45:47 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Is there a way to make dowel pins show in a ground D-2 die part that has two
5/32" pins that blend in perfectly? I use the random punch method now.
I've tried holding them up to the light to no avail.

Nitric acid may do the job.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Anthony

"Tom Miller" wrote in
:

A company called "Magnaflux" ?used to make equipment for checking
cylinder heads for cracks. They had a powerful magnet that latched
onto the head. A little puff pack then was used to spray powdered iron
in the suspect area. The powder built up around any discontinuity in
the magnetic lines of force, and showed up cracks even when they
weren't visible otherwise. Tom

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
om...
Is there a way to make dowel pins show in a ground D-2 die part that
has

two
5/32" pins that blend in perfectly? I use the random punch method
now. I've tried holding them up to the light to no avail.

A speaker magnet and grinding dust will do the same job

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:08:27 +1100, the inscrutable "Tom Miller"
spake:

A company called "Magnaflux" ?used to make equipment for checking cylinder
heads for cracks. They had a powerful magnet that latched onto the head. A
little puff pack then was used to spray powdered iron in the suspect area.
The powder built up around any discontinuity in the magnetic lines of force,
and showed up cracks even when they weren't visible otherwise.

I much preferred the dye magnaflux, SpotCheck.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Enders Epilogue

Maybe the stuff used to read obliterated serial numbers, such as
http://www.crime-scene.com/ecpi/69XX.shtml ?
Herb

Try use a dye penatration spray. The outline of the dowel will show up
as a small crack would. Sometimes a simple spray with penatrating oil,
let sit for a minute or so, then wipe the surface show the outline.