Yvan

Default Pipe - Tube difference

What is the difference? I have purchased manual for building mini chopper
frame, and I have no idea what to ask for in shop (where I am no one in
metal shop - or any other speaks English). English is not my native
language, so please go easy.

And what is the difference when bending pipe and bending tube. I knew that
bending tools are different, but why? Something to do with a diameter?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Yvan" wrote in message
news
What is the difference? I have purchased manual for building mini chopper
frame, and I have no idea what to ask for in shop (where I am no one in
metal shop - or any other speaks English). English is not my native
language, so please go easy.

Pipe is measured by it's internal diameter, and is not usually very precise.
Regardless of the schedule, the outside diameter remains constant (at least
in theory). When the schedule of the pipe changes, the wall gets thicker
or thinner, so the size of the hole in the pipe changes.

That rule applies to pipe up to 12". Once pipe goes above that size, it is
measured by the actual outside diameter, meaning 14" pipe OD measures 14",
unlike 12" pipe, which measures 12-3/4".

Tubing is measured by the outside diameter. When you buy tubing, you
specify the wall thickness and the outside diameter. That would be the
equivalent of specifying schedule when buying pipe.

The advantage of tubing over pipe is that it is made in a much wider variety
of sizes. Pipe is restricted, and the larger it gets, the larger is the
restriction. Still, each of them have a purpose that they serve well.

And what is the difference when bending pipe and bending tube. I knew that
bending tools are different, but why? Something to do with a diameter?

I'm not well versed on pipe or tube bending, but they bend similar to one
another. Your comments on diameter are close to the problem-----if you
expect good bends. The shoes that support the material must be a proper fit
to prevent kinking or otherwise distorting the material at hand while
bending. Perhaps someone with bending experience will chime in and provide
more details.

Hope this helps

Harold

the tools used must fit the material at hand.

jim rozen

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

Pipe is measured by it's internal diameter, and is not usually very precise.
Regardless of the schedule, the outside diameter remains constant (at least
in theory).

This was explained well to me, by a plumber - that the imporant
thing about "pipe" is what's flowing *inside* of it, so the
ID that counts.

Four inch cast iron pipe is just about the right size for...

Yep!

Jim

please reply to:
steamer

--Wall thickness is one difference; the other is the amount of
tooling that's available to work with it: tons of pipe benders, for
instance, but tube benders that won't kink the material are rare and
expensive.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Heartily sick of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : "oldies" stations!

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I was told that pipe is often welded seam, while tubing is extruded as

one,
with no welds

That has nothing to do with what distinguishes tubing from pipe. Tubing
comes seamless, drawn over a mandrel, drawn over a mandrel- special smooth
ID, cold drawn butt welded and electric resistance welded. Some of these
descriptions match pipe perfectly.

It's the size of the material that determines what it is, not the method by
which it is manufactured. Both tubing and pipe are available in steel,
stainless steel and aluminum, too.

Harold

Peter Grey

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message That has nothing
to do with what distinguishes tubing from pipe. Tubing
comes seamless, drawn over a mandrel, drawn over a mandrel- special smooth
ID, cold drawn butt welded and electric resistance welded. Some of these
descriptions match pipe perfectly.

It's the size of the material that determines what it is, not the method
by
which it is manufactured. Both tubing and pipe are available in steel,
stainless steel and aluminum, too.

Harold

So Harold,

A piece of tubing with the same dimensions, made by the same method, made
from the same material is functionaly the same as a piece of pipe made the
same way? How does one get identified as "pipe" and the other as "tubing".
Is it purely how the two are measured and how their dimensions are
represented? Why would these be labeled differently? Is one commonly
available in one form that the other is not?

Puzzled,

Peter

Peter

bw

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

So Harold,

A piece of tubing with the same dimensions, made by the same method, made
from the same material is functionaly the same as a piece of pipe made the
same way? How does one get identified as "pipe" and the other as
"tubing". Is it purely how the two are measured and how their dimensions
are represented? Why would these be labeled differently? Is one commonly
available in one form that the other is not?

Puzzled,

Peter

"Pipe" is just an arbitrary term from blacksmith days. Over time, pipe sizes
were standardized with arbitrary specifications, which are listed in tables
compiled by the industries and government. Even the inside diameter has
little to do with the "nominal" sizes.
"Tube" to most people is anything that looks tubular and is specified in
size by the "outer diameter"

Tom Miller

Pipe is measured as "nominal bore" which means that the size quoted is an
approximate inside diameter. for instance 1/2 NB is about half an inch
inside diameter and the wall thickness is specified either as a "schedule 5
or 20 etc . Tubing is measured as an outside diameter and a wall
thickness. As a general rule tubing has a better finish and more consistent
diameter than pipe.

Tom

"Yvan" wrote in message
news
What is the difference? I have purchased manual for building mini chopper
frame, and I have no idea what to ask for in shop (where I am no one in
metal shop - or any other speaks English). English is not my native
language, so please go easy.

And what is the difference when bending pipe and bending tube. I knew that
bending tools are different, but why? Something to do with a diameter?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
/ / \/ /\ \ ** http://counter.li.org/ **
/__/\____/--\__\ ** Reply at: iimperl - at - ml1 - dot - net **

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

In sizes up to 3/4" pipe, there are no identical matches of sizes with
tubing, so pipe is unique. At 1", pipe is designated as 1.315" OD. There
are several listings of tubing with identical, or very close, sizes when
compared to various schedules of pipe. With that in mind, unless the piece
in question is marked, or you have certs, it's possible you can't discern
one from the other. For example:

ASTM A 53 Grade A and Grade B, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
Specifications SA 53, Grade B (seamless or welded type E)

Should you encounter a piece that is either welded or seamless, and the
dimensions match both tubing and pipe, without markings there may not be a
way to tell. I'm not sure it matters unless the pipe/tubing must meet
certain requirements (as above). Back to the certified material!

Harold

Glenn

How bout this for a kicker?? I have heard of square tubing but neve heard
of square pipe. Is tubing ever threaded?
Is conduit tubing or pipe?
Damn ... another night without sleep LOL
Glenn
"Tom Miller" wrote in message
Pipe is measured as "nominal bore" which means that the size quoted is an
approximate inside diameter. for instance 1/2 NB is about half an inch
inside diameter and the wall thickness is specified either as a "schedule
5
or 20 etc . Tubing is measured as an outside diameter and a wall
thickness. As a general rule tubing has a better finish and more
consistent
diameter than pipe.

Tom

"Yvan" wrote in message
news
What is the difference? I have purchased manual for building mini chopper
frame, and I have no idea what to ask for in shop (where I am no one in
metal shop - or any other speaks English). English is not my native
language, so please go easy.

And what is the difference when bending pipe and bending tube. I knew
that
bending tools are different, but why? Something to do with a diameter?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
/ / \/ /\ \ ** http://counter.li.org/ **
/__/\____/--\__\ ** Reply at: iimperl - at - ml1 - dot - net **

RoyJ

Square tubing is nothing but round tubing that was run through a
"turkshead" roller (4 rollers set at an angle to the tube) Start with
round, comes out square (with rounded corners)

You can buy tubing made to tubing specs (A513 types 1, 2, and 5) in pipe
sizes (OD is the odd pipe sizes)

Sure you can thread tubing, you can thread it to tapered pipe threads,
any of the standard SAE threads, or to any weird special thread you
want. Go ask the telescope makers what thread pitch they use!

Conduit is conduit. It is made on the same type of machinery as pipe and
tubing, just different dies plus a special process to make sure the
inside bore is smooooooooooooth to keep from fraying the wires.

If you want to see all the equipment to make pipe and tubing take a look
at this
http://www.ameinc.com/ameinc.pdf

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

Pipe is measured as "nominal bore" which means that the size quoted is an
approximate inside diameter. for instance 1/2 NB is about half an inch
inside diameter and the wall thickness is specified either as a "schedule
5
or 20 etc . Tubing is measured as an outside diameter and a wall
thickness. As a general rule tubing has a better finish and more
consistent
diameter than pipe.

Tom

"Yvan" wrote in message
news
What is the difference? I have purchased manual for building mini chopper
frame, and I have no idea what to ask for in shop (where I am no one in
metal shop - or any other speaks English). English is not my native
language, so please go easy.

And what is the difference when bending pipe and bending tube. I knew
that
bending tools are different, but why? Something to do with a diameter?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
/ / \/ /\ \ ** http://counter.li.org/ **
/__/\____/--\__\ ** Reply at: iimperl - at - ml1 - dot - net **

Fuhh

I like this one:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:42:50 -0600, "bw" wrote:

"Pipe" sizes
were standardized with arbitrary specifications,

Since I'm a spec writer, I find it amusing as hell....

Yvan@office

Nedavno Tim Williams pise:

Pipe is usually larger than the claimed dimension: 1/2" pipe is closer to
3/4" in diameter. There are tables. Tubing, on the other hand, is done
even values, 2" tubing is either 2" inside or out. It also may have
thinner wall, depending on the use of "tubing".

What about tube material? I want to make some mini chopper frame. What tube
material should I look for (that bends most trouble-free)?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
/ / \/ /\ \ ** http://counter.li.org/ **
/__/\____/--\__\ ** Reply at: iimperl - at - ml1 - dot - net **
Tweakit

Pipe (like water pipe) is measured by it's ID (inner diameter) and tubing
by it's OD.(outer diameter)

I have fabricated lots of mini bike frames and have mostly use 1" mild
steel tubing with a .058 to .125
wall thickness.

The thicker the wall the less likely for the tubing to crimp. but the frame
will get heavy pretty quick with
real thick tubing.

Check out Pro Tools on the web. they have a good hobby priced bender, the
105 model is what have,
real nice people to deal with. located in Florida I think.

Good luck.