Tom Gardner

Default Glue Guru update

Thanks all for some great ideas! The creativity and wisdom here is amazing
and much appreciated. Here's a new twist that looks good: I modified an
air stapler (BEC brand) that shoots 18 ga. 1/4" x 1/2" staples. I extended
the nose with a MIG weld and machined it into shape, I also modified the ram
and punch so that the stapler now pushes the punch 1/2" beyond the elongated
nose. I milled a slot in the nose to pick-up the flat wire and act as a
centering index. With the stapler at a 20 deg angle, the staple follows the
wire down after it leaves the nose and enters the wood right next to the
original staple without "falling off" the punch. Taa-Daa!!! Pull-out now
exceeds 60 pounds, probably closer to 100 but my pull-scale stops at
60....Good enough! It takes about 3 minutes per brush and the staples are
$6/5,000. I'm looking at how to automate it but I only have @3,000 to do
so, brute-force with a human looks good. Thanks again!!!

Ken Sterling

[...]

But...but...but...but....what 'bout the *glue*???? :-)
Ken
Bob Engelhardt

Tom Gardner wrote:
... I modified an air stapler ...
extended the nose with a MIG weld and machined it ...
modified the ram ... milled a slot ... Taa-Daa!!!

Man, I'm impressed! That's a lot of "fiddlin'" to get right. With me,
it usually takes a couple of revisions. Bob