Default Logsplitters, designs or plans

We had a hurricane here a couple of weeks ago...
While cleaning up at parents and friends properties ( most of them look
something like this http://www.naeslund.dk/peter/foto/170105/page_01.htm ) I
got an idea to get or build a decent sized log splitter..

The Home Despot clones here sell some rather small 4 or 6 ton hydraulic
ones, but they seem a bit small for 40-50 cm diameter logs.. The other
option is paying a fortune for a logsplitter that mounts on a tractor...
Only problem with that is that someone would have to buy a tractor too :-)..

I scrounged a 10HP electric motor with a worm gear on it, have access to a
large machineshop and can stick, TIG and MIG weld if that gives anyone a
good idea?

Any input would be appreciated

/peter

Charles Morrill

Have a look at the CADplans website. Nice guy who designs a whole
bunch of build it yourself equipment including some logsplitters, both
stand alone and some that connect to a tractor or engine. You'll have
to hunt through his website a bit, but it's there. Try
http://www.cadplans.com/ and see if come up with something
interesting. I've found his plans to be quite clear.

Charles M

RoyJ

You can pretty much browse through the log splitter section of
www.northerntool.com for ideas and all the parts you would need. They
started business about 25 years ago selling splitters, found out they
could make more money selling the splitter parts.

Q wrote:

We had a hurricane here a couple of weeks ago...
While cleaning up at parents and friends properties ( most of them look
something like this http://www.naeslund.dk/peter/foto/170105/page_01.htm ) I
got an idea to get or build a decent sized log splitter..

The Home Despot clones here sell some rather small 4 or 6 ton hydraulic
ones, but they seem a bit small for 40-50 cm diameter logs.. The other
option is paying a fortune for a logsplitter that mounts on a tractor...
Only problem with that is that someone would have to buy a tractor too :-)..

I scrounged a 10HP electric motor with a worm gear on it, have access to a
large machineshop and can stick, TIG and MIG weld if that gives anyone a
good idea?

Any input would be appreciated

/peter

Martin H. Eastburn

Q wrote:

We had a hurricane here a couple of weeks ago...
While cleaning up at parents and friends properties ( most of them look
something like this http://www.naeslund.dk/peter/foto/170105/page_01.htm ) I
got an idea to get or build a decent sized log splitter..

The Home Despot clones here sell some rather small 4 or 6 ton hydraulic
ones, but they seem a bit small for 40-50 cm diameter logs.. The other
option is paying a fortune for a logsplitter that mounts on a tractor...
Only problem with that is that someone would have to buy a tractor too :-)..

I scrounged a 10HP electric motor with a worm gear on it, have access to a
large machineshop and can stick, TIG and MIG weld if that gives anyone a
good idea?

Any input would be appreciated

/peter

Another method of ridding ones self of the logs - see if there is a wood working
club in the area - chamber of Commerce might have a list - or the town...
Some of them turn wood some plank and re-saw.

Some of that wood might be just a nice thing for them to take the log off your hands.

I figure you have a plenty to burn.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:29:53 GMT, Charles Morrill
wrote:

Have a look at the CADplans website. Nice guy who designs a whole
bunch of build it yourself equipment including some logsplitters, both
stand alone and some that connect to a tractor or engine. You'll have
to hunt through his website a bit, but it's there. Try
http://www.cadplans.com/ and see if come up with something
interesting. I've found his plans to be quite clear.

Charles M

Have to second the cadplans site. Built the 3point hitch logsplitter
and it works great.

Richard

rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 6 of 10 - Plans Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 0 April 1st 04 09:16 AM
Peg-gear-clock Plans - Woodworking Plans peg-gear-clock Woodturning 0 December 11th 03 11:10 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
ISO Kitchen cabinet designs, plans LRT Woodworking 1 September 3rd 03 11:23 PM
Plans Tom Watson Woodworking 4 August 23rd 03 03:57 AM