Roger Hull

Default Need help in removing drill chuck from Sears Reversible Variable Speed Hand Drill

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:20:29 -0800, Tony wrote
(in message ):

Hi,
I have the said drill in fairly good condition, except that the run-out of
the
chuck was terrible. Lately, I have acquired a Sears Rotary Tool Stand.
When I
clamped the Tool Chuck (which was quite good visually) to the Drill Chuck,
the
run-out of the hand drill was so bad, that the whole thing shakes! I want to
disassemble the Hand Drill chuck and see if I can do anything to improve it.
Any suggestion?

Tony
---

Open the chuck as wide as it goes. Look in, there should be a screw head
visible. The end of the motor shaft is tapped and threaded for this screw and
it MAY be left-handed threads. Once this screw is removed you can unscrew the
chuck from the drill. It should be right-hand thread.

Gunner

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:20:29 GMT, Tony
wrote:

Hi,
I have the said drill in fairly good condition, except that the run-out of the
chuck was terrible. Lately, I have acquired a Sears Rotary Tool Stand. When I
clamped the Tool Chuck (which was quite good visually) to the Drill Chuck, the
run-out of the hand drill was so bad, that the whole thing shakes! I want to
disassemble the Hand Drill chuck and see if I can do anything to improve it.
Any suggestion?

Tony
---

Yep, easy fix for that.

Clean off a spot on your workbench. Wipe down your drill carefully
with WD-40 and set it aside in a secure area.

Place the Sears Rotary Tool Stand in a suitable box.

Install an inexpensive drill press on the now cleared spot on your
bench.

Place the box containing the Sears Rotary Tool Stand in the dumpster.

All better now.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Bugs

You forgot about sending it to the foundry first . . . . to get a brass
handle fitted so you have something to hang onto when you dump it.
Bugs

Joe AutoDrill

Open the chuck as wide as it goes. Look in, there should be a screw head
visible. The end of the motor shaft is tapped and threaded for this screw
and
it MAY be left-handed threads. Once this screw is removed you can unscrew
the
chuck from the drill. It should be right-hand thread.

You may also need to stick an allen key in the chuck (closed as if it were a
drill bit) and smack the allen key's "leg" with a quick blow of a hammer,
etc to get those threads to loosten up... Don't go wild though. If it
doesn't come loose, figure o0ut what your time is worth and consider
replacing the whole unit with something more appropriate for the work being
done.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.