Greg Deputy

Default Looking for a lathe in Seattle area

I'm in the market for a lathe. Of course, now that i have a little money to
throw at it, boeing surplus and James G Murphy have got nothing at all. I
could buy a new unit in the 13x36 or 14x40 range, but i'd rather find
something used that would hopefully be a bit larger. The primary use would
be turning up to 4" diameter aluminum tube (and possibly 6"), reducing the
OD, cutting internal and external snap ring grooves and internal threads.
In a perfect world it would have a large spindle bore so i could pass the
tube through the headstock instead of using a steady rest when possible.

Anyways, if anyone knows of a lathe that would fit the bill, somewhere in
the pacific northwest (within a couple hundred miles of seattle), please
drop me line.

JMartin957

I'm in the market for a lathe. Of course, now that i have a little money to
throw at it, boeing surplus and James G Murphy have got nothing at all. I
could buy a new unit in the 13x36 or 14x40 range, but i'd rather find
something used that would hopefully be a bit larger. The primary use would
be turning up to 4" diameter aluminum tube (and possibly 6"), reducing the
OD, cutting internal and external snap ring grooves and internal threads.
In a perfect world it would have a large spindle bore so i could pass the
tube through the headstock instead of using a steady rest when possible.

Anyways, if anyone knows of a lathe that would fit the bill, somewhere in
the pacific northwest (within a couple hundred miles of seattle), please
drop me line.

That 4" plus spindle bore might be a problem....

John Martin

Greg Deputy

Well, yeah. I should have said 'in a FANTASY world' rather than 'in a
perfect world'. If I had 15k to spare I would go buy a large spindle bore
lathe, but alas, i'm not yet that rich...

Realisticly, i'm hoping to find something around a 14" swing with a long
bed, but i may just 'settle' and buy a 13x40 grizzly or something.

"JMartin957" wrote in message

[...]

Good luck finding a used lathe around Seattle.
They dont come up very often. Maybe three times a year there is an
auction somewhere in western washington, so keep checking the Murphy
site. Watch the little nickel, and the classifieds for the Seattle and
Tacoma papers. You can do that on line. Consider putting a "wanted" ad
up.
Check out Hallidie machinery in Auburn- they are the only used
machinery dealer I am aware of still existing in western wa.-
http://www.hallidie.com./
Rarely, very rarely, Boeing will have a lathe, but their prices are
absurd.
Then there is the rust pile in the desert- George Washington Machinery,
over in Quincy.
http://www.georgewamachinery.com/
they usually only have huge, oddball machines that no one wants, but
they do have a bunch of axelson and other large spindle hole lathes
listed. Not cheap, of course.
Big spindle lathes are usually called oilcountry lathes, and they are
very nice, but big, heavy and expensive.

Here are a bunch more for sale around the country.

http://www.machinetools.com/mt/machi...4160&lvt=group

Personally, I have had much better luck with Jet tools than with
Grizzly, so if I was gonna buy a new asian lathe, I would call up the
guys down at equipment sales and surplus- they are the authorized
liquidator for all Jet, Wilton, Powermatic, and Performax tools that
are damaged in shipping, showroom samples, returns, cosmetics, etc. I
bought a nice Jet 18x60 from them with a 3 1/8" spindle bore a few
years ago- I doubt they have another one of those, but they get Jet and
Wilton lathes in all the time, at good prices for basically new
machines. They fix whatever is wrong before selling.
http://www.equipmentsalesandsurplus.com/

Grant Erwin

Greg Deputy wrote:

I'm in the market for a lathe. Of course, now that i have a little money to
throw at it, boeing surplus and James G Murphy have got nothing at all. I
could buy a new unit in the 13x36 or 14x40 range, but i'd rather find
something used that would hopefully be a bit larger. The primary use would
be turning up to 4" diameter aluminum tube (and possibly 6"), reducing the
OD, cutting internal and external snap ring grooves and internal threads.
In a perfect world it would have a large spindle bore so i could pass the
tube through the headstock instead of using a steady rest when possible.

Anyways, if anyone knows of a lathe that would fit the bill, somewhere in
the pacific northwest (within a couple hundred miles of seattle), please
drop me line.

I saw a nice one in today's Little Nickel:

Victor lathe 1630 5 HP 6 jaw 10 inch buckchuck, $3,000. 360-387-0961 (Camano)

They also have:

BRIDGEPORT MILL. 2 HP, vary drive, chrome, D.R.O. power feed, $3500

Boy, prices are sure great now. That's a sweet deal if in good shape.

GWE

Eagle

Greg Deputy wrote:
[...]

Good Morning,

I have a friend that is selling two large lathes (not sure how big)
near Olympia. Send me your phone # and I will get him in touch with
you.

Market Research Question -- Sakai ML 360 Lathe Steve Koschmann Metalworking 4 June 17th 05 04:58 PM
Free Monarch lathe in SF area (forwarded ad) Bruno Metalworking 14 July 18th 04 03:00 PM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
What is a second operation lathe? Matthew Metalworking 8 January 19th 04 03:45 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM