ATP

Default Bridgeport Clone Parts?

Any source, other than ebay, for vari-speed J head clone parts? Do the clone
manufacturers also get ridiculous money for sheaves, etc.? I've tried google
but without much luck.

Marty Escarcega

"ATP" wrote in
:

Any source, other than ebay, for vari-speed J head clone parts? Do the
clone manufacturers also get ridiculous money for sheaves, etc.? I've
tried google but without much luck.

High Quality Tools
http://www.hqtinc.com/
ATP

"Marty Escarcega" wrote in message
"ATP" wrote in
:

Any source, other than ebay, for vari-speed J head clone parts? Do the
clone manufacturers also get ridiculous money for sheaves, etc.? I've
tried google but without much luck.

High Quality Tools
http://www.hqtinc.com/

Thanks, Marty. Their website seems to be having difficulties, I was able to
find their product breakdowns at this link:

http://www.icai-online.com/index.html

I found a headless Bridgeport I'd like to put one of my clone heads on.
Unfortunately I'm missing the vari-disc and spring assembly that rides on
the motor shaft. Converting to VFD speed control seems like a good option,
but will still require a way to drive the belt on the motor side, which
currently only has the one cone shaped side on it.

Marty Escarcega

"ATP" wrote in
:

"Marty Escarcega" wrote in message
"ATP" wrote in
:

Any source, other than ebay, for vari-speed J head clone parts? Do
the clone manufacturers also get ridiculous money for sheaves, etc.?
I've tried google but without much luck.

High Quality Tools
http://www.hqtinc.com/

Thanks, Marty. Their website seems to be having difficulties, I was
able to find their product breakdowns at this link:

http://www.icai-online.com/index.html

I found a headless Bridgeport I'd like to put one of my clone heads
on. Unfortunately I'm missing the vari-disc and spring assembly that
rides on the motor shaft. Converting to VFD speed control seems like a
good option, but will still require a way to drive the belt on the
motor side, which currently only has the one cone shaped side on it.

Just checked again and the website is working.
Sounds like the part you might be after will be pricey....
Good luck!
Marty
ATP

[...]

could be my browser, although I get the same thing in IE- when you click on
a product, you get:

"ODBC Error Code = 08001 (Unable to connect to data source)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or
access denied.

"

WRT the part, I think you're right, something used/from ebay may be the only
way to go. I might try machining a fixed pulley on that side, I guess if I
get it close to the right diameter, I can adjust the tension with the
adjustable speed setting. I don't want to spend more money putting together
a Frankenmill than it would have cost me to buy a complete one.

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...

"Marty Escarcega" wrote in message
"ATP" wrote in
:

Any source, other than ebay, for vari-speed J head clone parts? Do the
clone manufacturers also get ridiculous money for sheaves, etc.? I've
tried google but without much luck.

High Quality Tools
http://www.hqtinc.com/

Thanks, Marty. Their website seems to be having difficulties, I was able to
find their product breakdowns at this link:

http://www.icai-online.com/index.html

I found a headless Bridgeport I'd like to put one of my clone heads on.
Unfortunately I'm missing the vari-disc and spring assembly that rides on
the motor shaft. Converting to VFD speed control seems like a good option,
but will still require a way to drive the belt on the motor side, which
currently only has the one cone shaped side on it.

If you can come up with a simple way to adjust the center distance or
install a tensioning idler, you might consider installing v-belt
pulleys, or step pulleys, on both the motor and spindle. I've owned both
step pulley and vari-speed mills with VFDs and prefer the step pulley
setup. Much quieter and less trouble and plenty of speed range from the
VFD without much belt switching. Regular v-belt drives are also more
efficient than the vari-speed Reeves drives.

My 1HP step pulley BP spent most of the time set on 1000RPM. My current
Supermax 3HP mill is almost always on 900 or 1800 RPM, and I could
probably get away with just the 1800 RPM setting, giving a direct
spindle speed readout on the VFD, if I put a cooling fan on the motor.
The VFD is limited to 6 to 90 HZ, but I avoid running below perhaps 30Hz
for long periods to avoid overheating the motor.

Ned Simmons
ATP

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

I like the step pulley idea. The shaft on the motor is pretty beat where the
disc used to ride, so I'm not sure how well a replacement would work anyway.

Waynemak

You bought a Bridgeport base?? I had a guy up here that had a whole J head
for $200, it looked to be in good shape. Step pully but I prefer that
myself.
How are things in the Island? I moved the 14 SB into my shop and put 1 of 3
lathes up on ebay, I hope to get things cleared out and back to making stuff
in the next month.
"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

ATP

"Waynemak" wrote in message
You bought a Bridgeport base?? I had a guy up here that had a whole J head
for $200, it looked to be in good shape. Step pully but I prefer that
myself.
How are things in the Island? I moved the 14 SB into my shop and put 1 of
3 lathes up on ebay, I hope to get things cleared out and back to making
stuff in the next month.

One is available for $200, locally. Seems to be in reasonable shape, couple
holes in the table. I have to verify that my head will fit. Is the knuckle
the same on all of them?

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

Waynemak

Can't say for sure if the it will fit but any I have seen look the same.
My Millport is the same as my dads Bridgeport, the people at Millport told
me they had sold psrts to bridgeport owners looking to save some $$, but
they don't offer much now.

Are you going to sell the Nichols or Van Norman?

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

ATP

"Waynemak" wrote in message
Can't say for sure if the it will fit but any I have seen look the same.
My Millport is the same as my dads Bridgeport, the people at Millport told
me they had sold psrts to bridgeport owners looking to save some $$, but
they don't offer much now.

Are you going to sell the Nichols or Van Norman?

I don't think I will part with the Van Norman. I have two Nichols millers so
probably at least one has to go. I do too much buying and not enough
selling.

"ATP" wrote in message

[...]

ryan

ATP Wrote:
Any source, other than ebay, for vari-speed J head clone parts? Do the
clone
manufacturers also get ridiculous money for sheaves, etc.? I've tried
google
but without much luck.

http://www.icai-online.com has replacement bridgeport parts available
and they also sell Servo parts. It's a good, reputable company with the
best prices that I've been able to find anywhere.

Good luck.

--
ryan