Jack

Default Name of lathe

Long, long time ago.. I operated a lathe turning turbine outer cases and
can't remember the type.

It had a 60" face plate and had no tailstock... We refered to them as
T-lathes or stubnose lathes... Is there a common name for these.

Thanks, Jack
Jack

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:17:13 -0600, Jack wrote:

Long, long time ago.. I operated a lathe turning turbine outer cases and
can't remember the type.

It had a 60" face plate and had no tailstock... We refered to them as
T-lathes or stubnose lathes... Is there a common name for these.

Thanks, Jack

They were called "T" lathes..... major manufactures were Lodge &
Shipley, Monarch, Niles, and Lucas....

Thanks, I did a search for T-lathes and got nothing,.. I thought I was
getting old and just forgot the name.

I ran one with a tracer unit on it and was thinking it would work great
for turning mag wheels for bikes and cars. ( on my budget anyway )

Jack
Tom

--

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/machine_shop/index.htm

Actually it was L & S who designated theirs as T Lathes.
Monarch used the term Right Angle Lathes.
Many used "Face or "Surfacing" lathes.

How about reducing the paranoia on your site?

Tom
Tom

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:58:39 -0800, Tom wrote:

Actually it was L & S who designated theirs as T Lathes.
Monarch used the term Right Angle Lathes.
Many used "Face or "Surfacing" lathes.

Names do get a bit convoluted. When I think of a facing lathe I think
of one of these....
http://tinyurl.com/5785g ... it has a tailstock...

If it has a tailstock it's not a facing lathe, per se.
I hope you don't believe everthing a used car salesman
tells you, also? :-)

How about reducing the paranoia on your site?

I have upgraded my firewall software and it appears that blocking the
IPs for most of the Pacific Rim and parts of Southern Europe are no
longer necessary. It was unbelievable watching the incessant attempts
at port sniffing from these geographic IPs.... those people ought to
get interested in metalworking or something (anything) else other than
trying to break into other people's computers... and remember, just
because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get
you...

Am I to take it that you're running your site off your own server?

Homepage
http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/machine_shop/index.htm

Tom
Tom

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:43:10 -0800, Tom wrote:

Names do get a bit convoluted. When I think of a facing lathe I think
of one of these....
http://tinyurl.com/5785g ... it has a tailstock...

If it has a tailstock it's not a facing lathe, per se.
I hope you don't believe everthing a used car salesman
tells you, also? :-)

Heavens! Are you implying that they might.... uh.... exaggerate!!

Yes

Aside from that, I can find nothing in my experience nor library that
suggests a facing lathe cannot have a tail stock....

Buy more books.

a "T" lathe, on the other hand, has no provision for a tailstock...

A "T" lathe is just a Lodge & Shipley lathe designation, not a
generic term.

do you have any information to the contrary???

Yes

Am I to take it that you're running your site off your own server?

Yes, indeed! A blazingly fast, state of the art, 500Mhz Pentium II.
Thus, the paranoia... had the website been on the ISP's server, it
would have been "their" problem....

Too bad..