Too_Many_Tools

Default Ebay ups the Fees

Just in case you haven't heard...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e&sid=95573501
Lots of unhappy sellers.

Comments?

TMT

Carl Joplin

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just in case you haven't heard...
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e&sid=95573501
Lots of unhappy sellers.
Comments?
TMT

The bad news is at:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/announcem...html#question8

EBay must think metalworking equipment is "business capital", so they are
changing the fee structure to attract high dollar items to certain
categories.

The Business and Industrial organization chart is at:
http://pages.ebay.com/categorychanges/business.html
About two thirds of the way down is Metalworking Equipment (92082) and its
many sub-categories (lathes, mills, grinders, etc.) where the new $20
insertion fee will apply. As I understand it, the changes do not apply to
the Metalworking Supplies (92084) or Machine Tool Accessories (25291).
Therefore if you are listing parts or a low value item, it sure wouldn't
make sense for the seller to list it in the machinery categories. I will
leave it to you math wizards to figure out where the break-even point is.

The good news is that there are so many items on eBay, I would think most
serious buyers use search strings which are not confined to certain
categories. It would be interesting to see any stats on what percentage of
buyers use categories versus searches.

From the eBay email:

Insertion and Final Value Fees
The insertion and Final Value Fees will be changing for items listed in
certain Business & Industrial categories. More details about the changes for
these categories are provided below. The insertion and Final Value Fees in
other categories will not be changing.

Business & Industrial Listings in Certain Categories
The Reserve, insertion and Final Value Fees will be changing for select high
item price capital equipment categories in Business & Industrial.
View the capital equipment categories affected by the pricing change
== http://click3.ebay.com/1549289.54490.0.45723

The fee changes for these capital equipment categories are as follows:

- Reserve fee: Lowered to $5, refundable if the item sells
- Insertion fee: Raised to $20, regardless of starting price
- Final Value Fee: Lowered to a 1% flat fee, with a $250 maximum charge

Carl Joplin

Larry Jaques

On 15 Jan 2005 13:08:01 -0800, the inscrutable "Too_Many_Tools"
spake:

Just in case you haven't heard...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e&sid=95573501
Lots of unhappy sellers.

Comments?

Millions a day wasn't enough profit for them so they're doubling
the fees. Look to Yahoo and others to quintuple their business
volume in the -very- near future. Ebay just shot themselves in
the appendage.

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----

Waynemak

I think one thing it will help is when looking for a "Machine" you won't
have to look at books, small parts, ect. The catagory for those has no
$20.00 fee.
Mnay listers are putting small parts, books and what ever in the machine
catagory
"Carl Joplin" wrote in message

[...]

From the eBay email:

[...]

Tony

Maybe Reliable Tool will restart their auction site???

Tony

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 15 Jan 2005 13:08:01 -0800, the inscrutable "Too_Many_Tools"
spake:

Just in case you haven't heard...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ap/20050115/ap

_on_hi_te/ebay_price_hike&sid=95573501
Lots of unhappy sellers.

Comments?

Millions a day wasn't enough profit for them so they're doubling
the fees. Look to Yahoo and others to quintuple their business
volume in the -very- near future. Ebay just shot themselves in
the appendage.

--
Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof.
----

Jon Anderson

Tony wrote:

Maybe Reliable Tool will restart their auction site???

If they do, I hope to hell they do something to speed it up. I stopped
going there very quickly as it was painfully slow.
I think the increased fees are going to weed out some of the idiots and
frivolous auctions. It's also going to open the door for some other
outfit to cater to the smaller sellers.

Going public has forced ebay to act like any other corporation, squeeze
every last penny of profits they can, to satisfy Wall Street and the
stockholders...

Jon
ATP

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 15 Jan 2005 13:08:01 -0800, the inscrutable "Too_Many_Tools"
spake:

Just in case you haven't heard...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e&sid=95573501
Lots of unhappy sellers.

Comments?

Millions a day wasn't enough profit for them so they're doubling
the fees. Look to Yahoo and others to quintuple their business
volume in the -very- near future. Ebay just shot themselves in
the appendage.

I hope so, but right now there's just about nothing there (yahoo) I'm
interested in buying.

Gunner

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 23:13:14 GMT, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Tony wrote:

Maybe Reliable Tool will restart their auction site???

If they do, I hope to hell they do something to speed it up. I stopped
going there very quickly as it was painfully slow.

I was ****ed when they stopped it. I was getting far better deals on
their site than their auctions on Ebay.

I think the increased fees are going to weed out some of the idiots and
frivolous auctions. It's also going to open the door for some other
outfit to cater to the smaller sellers.

Going public has forced ebay to act like any other corporation, squeeze
every last penny of profits they can, to satisfy Wall Street and the
stockholders...

Jon

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Jon Anderson

Gunner wrote:

I was ****ed when they stopped it. I was getting far better deals on
their site than their auctions on Ebay.

Heh, yeah, I bought a tracer head from their site and resold it on ebay
for about 4x! Well, we're -supposed- to have cable interest sometime
soon. Comcast has been promising it for years. That would help...

Jon