ahgu

Default how to paint a small Aluminum box?

I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?

thanks
Andrew

Jim Levie

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:05:58 -0800, ahgu wrote:

I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

Spray.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?

Lacquer or an automotive paint over primer.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

machineman

ahgu wrote:
I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?

thanks
Andrew

Clean them down well with a good degreaser and then use an Aluminum
primer. Follow with a good enamel paint. Alternately you could look for
a local outfit that does powder coating, with the low priced units
available now I have found several local back yard one man doing low
volume jobs. Check with local motorcycle or custom auto shops for leads.
Don Foreman

On 14 Jan 2005 14:05:58 -0800, "ahgu" wrote:

I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?e

Use an aluminum prep solution like Ditzler/PPG Alumiprep. You'd find
it at a place that carries supplies for autobody and painting. It's
a water-based solution that you apply with brush, rag, dip, let it
work for a couple of minutes and then rinse with water.

I've found that nearly any paint wets and levels beautifully after
such treatment.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
how to paint a small Aluminum box? ahgu Woodworking 17 January 14th 05 03:21 PM
cheap latext paint as latex based concrete admixture William Deans Home Repair 14 December 29th 04 06:03 AM
Removing Paint mistakes on wood floor [email protected] Home Repair 12 May 6th 04 01:09 AM