DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how to paint a small Aluminum box? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/86377-how-paint-small-aluminum-box.html)

ahgu January 14th 05 10:05 PM

how to paint a small Aluminum box?

I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?

thanks
Andrew

Jim Levie January 14th 05 10:40 PM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:05:58 -0800, ahgu wrote:

I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

Spray.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?

Lacquer or an automotive paint over primer.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

machineman January 14th 05 11:44 PM

ahgu wrote:
I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?

thanks
Andrew

Clean them down well with a good degreaser and then use an Aluminum
primer. Follow with a good enamel paint. Alternately you could look for
a local outfit that does powder coating, with the low priced units
available now I have found several local back yard one man doing low
volume jobs. Check with local motorcycle or custom auto shops for leads.

Don Foreman January 15th 05 07:23 AM

On 14 Jan 2005 14:05:58 -0800, "ahgu" wrote:

I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10
of them.
It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them?
Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex
What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?e

Use an aluminum prep solution like Ditzler/PPG Alumiprep. You'd find
it at a place that carries supplies for autobody and painting. It's
a water-based solution that you apply with brush, rag, dip, let it
work for a couple of minutes and then rinse with water.

I've found that nearly any paint wets and levels beautifully after
such treatment.