Bert

Default Ajax / Speedaire compressors any good?

I was about set to buy a new 60-gal / 3hp single-stage Ingersoll-Rand
compressor (around $550) when I ran across an ad for a used compressor
of similar size. The owner (who inherited it) says the paperwork calls
it an Ajax, but the name Speedaire is on the pump (or was it the other
way around?). Anyone have an opinion on either or both of these
brands? Would $200 be a reasonable price if it's in decent condition?
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. What are the key things to
look for when checking out a used compressor?

Thanks.
Bert
Bugs

I had a Speedaire for years. Durable but noisy.
Bugs

Keith Marshall

According to http://www.aircompressorsettlement.com, some Ingersoll-Rand and
Speedaire compressors were built by DeVilbiss so you never know for sure who
really made the one you're looking at.

As for what to look for, I'm sure there are others that know quite a bit
more about them than I but here's my $0.02 worth. :-)

Direct drive is really noisy so you'll probably want belt drive.

A cast iron compressor is better than cast aluminum.

Make sure the tank's in good shape. If it's old it may be close to rusting
through at the bottom where water collects. Open the drain to see if
there's water in it and what it looks like. There almost certainly will be
water unless someone drained it and hasn't used it and it will probably be
milky or yellow but it shouldn't look really rusty.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"Bert" wrote in message
I was about set to buy a new 60-gal / 3hp single-stage Ingersoll-Rand
compressor (around $550) when I ran across an ad for a used compressor
of similar size. The owner (who inherited it) says the paperwork calls
it an Ajax, but the name Speedaire is on the pump (or was it the other
way around?). Anyone have an opinion on either or both of these
brands? Would $200 be a reasonable price if it's in decent condition?
I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. What are the key things to
look for when checking out a used compressor?

Thanks.
Bert

Charles A. Sherwood

I have seen Ajax brand in some surplus catalog. Perhaps surplus center.

Speedair is a W.W. Grainger brand.