GTO69RA4

Default Ball bearings with grooved outer races?

Quick question for any bearing heads in the group. I'm looking to replace an
old ND 3L06 bearing, which is the same thing is a modern 6006. The only problem
is that the outer race has a groove for a snap run close to one side. Is this
something that's normally available, or was it a custom job for a given
company?

Also, if it was a custom, is there anything preventy me from turning a groove
in a stock bearing with a carbide tool or abrasive slitting wheel?

GTO(John)
Dave Hinz

On 05 Jan 2005 19:50:01 GMT, GTO69RA4 wrote:
Quick question for any bearing heads in the group. I'm looking to replace an
old ND 3L06 bearing, which is the same thing is a modern 6006. The only problem
is that the outer race has a groove for a snap run close to one side. Is this
something that's normally available, or was it a custom job for a given
company?

I've seen it in bearing catalogs, but I don't recall what they're
called.

Also, if it was a custom, is there anything preventy me from turning a groove
in a stock bearing with a carbide tool or abrasive slitting wheel?

Heat buildup and the chance of deforming the geometry would be my
concerns, aside from the fact that race material is _very_ hard to cut.

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

On 05 Jan 2005 19:50:01 GMT, GTO69RA4 wrote:
Quick question for any bearing heads in the group. I'm looking to replace an
old ND 3L06 bearing, which is the same thing is a modern 6006. The only problem
is that the outer race has a groove for a snap run close to one side. Is this
something that's normally available, or was it a custom job for a given
company?

I've seen it in bearing catalogs, but I don't recall what they're
called.

Also, if it was a custom, is there anything preventy me from turning a groove
in a stock bearing with a carbide tool or abrasive slitting wheel?

Heat buildup and the chance of deforming the geometry would be my
concerns, aside from the fact that race material is _very_ hard to cut.

Actually an abrasive cutoff wheel in a die grinder cuts races like
crazy. I'd be more worried about the grit getting into the bearing.

FWIW I've seen many new bearings with snap rings like the one mentioned.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 5 Jan 2005 13:38:56 -0800, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

Heat buildup and the chance of deforming the geometry would be my
concerns, aside from the fact that race material is _very_ hard to cut.

Actually an abrasive cutoff wheel in a die grinder cuts races like
crazy. I'd be more worried about the grit getting into the bearing.

Right, and getting a clean groove. Moot point since someone posted
the bearing designations for the groove and a groove with a ring in
it, though.

FWIW I've seen many new bearings with snap rings like the one mentioned.

Automotive transmissions, for instance, yes. One would hope they're
using some sort of a standard.

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

FWIW I've seen many new bearings with snap rings like the one mentioned.

Automotive transmissions, for instance, yes. One would hope they're
using some sort of a standard.

Yep. The one in question was the input bearing for a ford jeep
transmission. I was able to purchase a new, sealed bearing with
the snap ring, easily and cheaply.

Jim

please reply to:
williamhenry

standard item , just run down to your local bearing house

On some items the local bearing shop only stocks the grooved ones
because they work the same if you remove the ring.

Tom

The designation is 6006N with groove, 6006NR with snapring in groove.

Tom

Whoa - I thought I'd double posted (and I haven't even had a drink)
until I checked your email address. Guess there's two of us with the
same advice. Glad I'm not losing it. :-)
Tim Wescott

Tom wrote:

The designation is 6006N with groove, 6006NR with snapring in groove.

Tom

Whoa - I thought I'd double posted (and I haven't even had a drink)
until I checked your email address. Guess there's two of us with the
same advice. Glad I'm not losing it. :-)

And such an uncommon name, too

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Herb

Snap ring grooves are an option on many bearings. Check with an
industrial bearing supplier.