Dave Hinz

On 5 Jan 2005 13:38:56 -0800, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

Heat buildup and the chance of deforming the geometry would be my
concerns, aside from the fact that race material is _very_ hard to cut.

Actually an abrasive cutoff wheel in a die grinder cuts races like
crazy. I'd be more worried about the grit getting into the bearing.

Right, and getting a clean groove. Moot point since someone posted
the bearing designations for the groove and a groove with a ring in
it, though.

FWIW I've seen many new bearings with snap rings like the one mentioned.

Automotive transmissions, for instance, yes. One would hope they're
using some sort of a standard.