william_b_noble

Default FS: 1 GB hard drives, $6 each, tested and working.

I know some of you guys like to rescue old computers - I have three western
digital hard drives, two are Cavia 21200 (1.2 GB) and one is Caviar 2850
(800 MB). I've tested each of these and formatted them (FAT), and they boot
correctly. All are IDE. $6 each. postage is $4 (US priority flat rate
envelope) each - I may (note MAY) be able to put two or maybe even all 4
into one envelope if you want more than one.

These are good drives for an older computer, and I believe some of the
automated machine tools use these as well - contact me off the list if
interested.

--
Bill

to Email me, repair this address and use it:
william_ b_ noble at msn dot com

also check out http://www.wbnoble.com

Mark Rand

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 11:57:05 -0800, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

I know some of you guys like to rescue old computers - I have three western
digital hard drives, two are Cavia 21200 (1.2 GB) and one is Caviar 2850
(800 MB). I've tested each of these and formatted them (FAT), and they boot
correctly. All are IDE. $6 each. postage is $4 (US priority flat rate
envelope) each - I may (note MAY) be able to put two or maybe even all 4
into one envelope if you want more than one.

These are good drives for an older computer, and I believe some of the
automated machine tools use these as well - contact me off the list if
interested.

I brought about fifty similar disks home from work last week. They are being
mined for fridge magnets!

Mark Rand
RTFM
John Ings

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 23:49:05 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

I brought about fifty similar disks home from work last week. They are being
mined for fridge magnets!

If you are interested in a moneymaking idea, try this:
Remove the drive bubble so the discs, drive heads and actuators are
visible. Buy cheap ($10) battery operated quartz clock movements from
one of those craft stores, along with numbers for the dial. They're
intended for making wall clocks out of plates, varnished slices off
logs and whatever. You can get them with 1 inch long threaded shafts.

Drill a hole for the movement through the center of the disc assembly
(obligatory metalwork content). Glue the numbers to the top of the
disc to make a clock face. Add a keyhole at the back to hang the thing
up with. I've seen such novelty constructs selling for $50

Gerald Miller

wrote:

I brought about fifty similar disks home from work last week. They are being
mined for fridge magnets!

If you are interested in a moneymaking idea, try this:
Remove the drive bubble so the discs, drive heads and actuators are
visible. Buy cheap ($10) battery operated quartz clock movements from
one of those craft stores, along with numbers for the dial. They're
intended for making wall clocks out of plates, varnished slices off
logs and whatever. You can get them with 1 inch long threaded shafts.

Drill a hole for the movement through the center of the disc assembly
(obligatory metalwork content). Glue the numbers to the top of the
disc to make a clock face. Add a keyhole at the back to hang the thing
up with. I've seen such novelty constructs selling for $50

A few years ago, a chap was making clocks out of XT mother boards and
trying to sell them at a local flea market, didn't stay in business
long.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Abrasha

wrote:

I brought about fifty similar disks home from work last week. They are being
mined for fridge magnets!

If you are interested in a moneymaking idea, try this:
Remove the drive bubble so the discs, drive heads and actuators are
visible. Buy cheap ($10) battery operated quartz clock movements from
one of those craft stores, along with numbers for the dial. They're
intended for making wall clocks out of plates, varnished slices off
logs and whatever. You can get them with 1 inch long threaded shafts.

Drill a hole for the movement through the center of the disc assembly
(obligatory metalwork content). Glue the numbers to the top of the
disc to make a clock face. Add a keyhole at the back to hang the thing
up with. I've seen such novelty constructs selling for $50

I made these out of hard disk platters. Sold them for a lot more than $50.00.

http://www.abrasha.com/slideshow/bro...with_bezel.htm
http://www.abrasha.com/slideshow/brooches/hard_disk_brooch_with_bezel%20(reverse).htm
http://www.abrasha.com/slideshow/bro..._with_dome.htm
http://www.abrasha.com/slideshow/bro..._with_cone.htm

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

[...]

I bet you didn't sell them at a flea market, though. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Martin H. Eastburn

william_b_noble wrote:

I know some of you guys like to rescue old computers - I have three western
digital hard drives, two are Cavia 21200 (1.2 GB) and one is Caviar 2850
(800 MB). I've tested each of these and formatted them (FAT), and they boot
correctly. All are IDE. $6 each. postage is $4 (US priority flat rate
envelope) each - I may (note MAY) be able to put two or maybe even all 4
into one envelope if you want more than one.

These are good drives for an older computer, and I believe some of the
automated machine tools use these as well - contact me off the list if
interested.

THe frames are somewhat reasonable metal to melt down, magnets and such... :-)
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
bw

wrote:

[...]

You must be a very good salesman.

Mark Rand

wrote:

[...]

Hmm, I could do that and still get the fridge magnets. Everyone's a winner :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM