Default Help Identifying Bolt

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
wrote:
I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

If you are talking about a bolt with a head like the end of the
Torx wrench, not the socket, then it may be akin to what I have seen
many times on high-vacuum systems (made and sold by Varian). The bolts
were stainless steel (to survive the bakeout process without rusting),
and had a head which fit a 12-point box wrench. There was a shoulder on
the head to keep the ring of the wrench from contacting whatever was
being bolted.

The ones which I saw were smaller than yours, with 5/16" thread
being the biggest, with 1/4" being the other size, but I suspect that
such heads are available in larger sizes and other materials.

I suspect that these were not the *original* bolts on that
machine, and those would be more likely to be Allen style SCHS or even
pure hex heads.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Mike Henry

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

What's the P/N in the manual? I have the manual and the mill (sorta) so I
can check here given that info.

If these are the two bolts on the top of the housing that are used to clamp
the two overarms in place, they *should* be standard SHCS.