DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help Identifying Bolt (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/83912-help-identifying-bolt.html)

[email protected] January 1st 05 01:40 AM

Help Identifying Bolt

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

edard January 1st 05 01:50 AM

wrote:

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

Maybe a Bristol Spline? Here is a picture
http://www.newmantools.com/hand/splinekey.htm
HTH

Wayne Cook January 1st 05 02:14 AM

On 31 Dec 2004 17:40:33 -0800, wrote:

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

Try a 12 point socket.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

DoN. Nichols January 1st 05 02:47 AM

In article .com,
wrote:
I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

If you are talking about a bolt with a head like the end of the
Torx wrench, not the socket, then it may be akin to what I have seen
many times on high-vacuum systems (made and sold by Varian). The bolts
were stainless steel (to survive the bakeout process without rusting),
and had a head which fit a 12-point box wrench. There was a shoulder on
the head to keep the ring of the wrench from contacting whatever was
being bolted.

The ones which I saw were smaller than yours, with 5/16" thread
being the biggest, with 1/4" being the other size, but I suspect that
such heads are available in larger sizes and other materials.

I suspect that these were not the *original* bolts on that
machine, and those would be more likely to be Allen style SCHS or even
pure hex heads.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Anthony January 1st 05 03:26 AM

wrote in news:1104543633.539620.306790
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

7/16 or 1/2 star

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Gunner January 1st 05 03:41 AM

On 31 Dec 2004 17:40:33 -0800, wrote:

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

The two bolts that clamp the overarms?

They are capscrews on my 8540. Allen wrench works just fine.
If need be, Ill go out and pull one and check the thread.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

jim rozen January 1st 05 03:49 AM

In article .com,
says...

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

It may be a spline type fastener. The last set I bought for the
big end bolts on motorcycle rods was purchased at sears.

Jim

please reply to:

Dale Scroggins January 1st 05 04:56 AM

wrote:
I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

Could be triple-square, if someone has installed metric bolts.
12-point, come in lots of sizes.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd2304.html

Dale Scroggins

Mike Henry January 1st 05 03:01 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I
thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too
small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of
teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt
head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I
checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13
nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something
else. Thanks, Steve

What's the P/N in the manual? I have the manual and the mill (sorta) so I
can check here given that info.

If these are the two bolts on the top of the housing that are used to clamp
the two overarms in place, they *should* be standard SHCS.