Dean

Default Bison brand toolpost concern

I have a Myford ML7 and finally got round to getting a height adjustable
toolpost and inserts. The set is made in the UK by 'Bison' and I'm just a
bit worried that the lower lip of the insert's 'C' channel - ( basically the
side of the insert where you clamp the toolbit with set screws ) looks a bit
weak. This is because the whole insert has that hardened feel to it and I
once easily snapped the bottom of a toolpost insert by simply clamping a
tool in it with moderate force. However, it was a Chinese cheapie and this
should be a bit more carefully heat treated.

So if anyone has used the Bison brand toolpost inserts and had them snap,
I'd like to know about it before I do the same.

Thanks for any help
and I hope Santa left you all some shiny new tools !
( But only if you'd been good )

Dean.

DoN. Nichols

In article , Dean wrote:
I have a Myford ML7 and finally got round to getting a height adjustable
toolpost and inserts.

"Inserts"? You mean tool holders?

The set is made in the UK by 'Bison' and I'm just a
bit worried that the lower lip of the insert's 'C' channel - ( basically the
side of the insert where you clamp the toolbit with set screws ) looks a bit
weak. This is because the whole insert has that hardened feel to it and I
once easily snapped the bottom of a toolpost insert by simply clamping a
tool in it with moderate force. However, it was a Chinese cheapie and this
should be a bit more carefully heat treated.

So if anyone has used the Bison brand toolpost inserts and had them snap,
I'd like to know about it before I do the same.

I use at least some Bison products -- but they come from Poland,
not Oz. Those which I use (chucks and backplates) I have found to be
excellent.

I did not know that they made quick-change toolholders. But it
would not surprise me.

I use a mix of Phase-II and Aloris (in the BXA/Seris-200 size),
and I *seriously* crank down on the setscrews -- all four of them, if
the tool shank is long enough -- and I have never had a failure as a
result. They (both Aloris and Phase-II) appear to be case hardened, not
through hardened, as is appropriate for the function.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Dean

"DoN. Nichols"

"Inserts"? You mean tool holders?

Yes, I meant tool holders. I guess inserts sounds more like replaceable
carbide tips.

I use at least some Bison products -- but they come from Poland,
not Oz. Those which I use (chucks and backplates) I have found to be
excellent.

I did not know that they made quick-change toolholders. But it
would not surprise me.

I use a mix of Phase-II and Aloris (in the BXA/Seris-200 size),
and I *seriously* crank down on the setscrews -- all four of them, if
the tool shank is long enough -- and I have never had a failure as a
result. They (both Aloris and Phase-II) appear to be case hardened, not
through hardened, as is appropriate for the function.

Thanks for that. I hope these Bison ones are just case hardened too. I'll
soon find out !

Dean.

Charles Morrill

On 2004-12-26 00:23:24 -0500, "Dean" said:

I have a Myford ML7 and finally got round to getting a height
adjustable toolpost and inserts. The set is made in the UK by 'Bison'
and I'm just a bit worried that the lower lip of the insert's 'C'
channel - ( basically the side of the insert where you clamp the
toolbit with set screws ) looks a bit weak. This is because the whole
insert has that hardened feel to it and I once easily snapped the
bottom of a toolpost insert by simply clamping a tool in it with
moderate force. However, it was a Chinese cheapie and this should be a
bit more carefully heat treated.

So if anyone has used the Bison brand toolpost inserts and had them
snap, I'd like to know about it before I do the same.

Thanks for any help
and I hope Santa left you all some shiny new tools !
( But only if you'd been good )

Dean.

This is an interesting toolpost that at one time was also an
accessory available for the Emco range of ten inch lathes, such as the
V10-p - that like the Myford - don't have a whole lot of space between
the deck of the compound rest and the lathe center. I think this is the
one you mean:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/i...&CatalogBod y

I believe it's the third item down, ref #mw1. Unfortunately for
us in the states, Toolmex/Bison doesn't seem to think we need it and
it does not appear in their master catalogue here. As I remember it's a
piston type of arrangement, but the piston pulls the toolholder in.
Makes a bunch more sense. I once ran into a web site calling this
toolpost a "Dickson" type.
The cat's meow for the Myford and the Emco may perhaps be the
small series KDK, but save your pennies, it'll set you back something
like $500. Personally, I use a Phase II piston type and mill down the
underside of the tool holders a bit so the center height works out. The
steel is not very impressive, I guess you'd have to say it's been
softened rather than hardened!
Chronos says they can export to the states so I'm thinking of
giving the Bison a try. I like Bison stuff - made in Poland - a whole
lot and own a bunch of it.

Please let us know how you like yours, Charles Morrill

Charles Morrill

On 2004-12-28 19:52:05 -0500, Charles Morrill said:

[...]

Oh well, the url almost works, search on the Chronos site for lathe
toolposts if your still interested...

Charles

Scott S. Logan

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:52:05 GMT, Charles Morrill
wrote:

I believe it's the third item down, ref #mw1. Unfortunately for
us in the states, Toolmex/Bison doesn't seem to think we need it and
it does not appear in their master catalogue here. As I remember it's a
piston type of arrangement, but the piston pulls the toolholder in.
Makes a bunch more sense. I once ran into a web site calling this
toolpost a "Dickson" type.

Just to let you know, these ARE now available here. We can provide
the Bison QC Toolpost, but at least for now, these are for lathes
slightly larger than the Logan.

Although they are listed as being for as small as 10" dia swing, the
smallest set is made to accommodate a 3/4" turning tool, and has a
minimum center height of 1.44".

If you would like more information, email me directly.

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/

Dean

[...]

Sorry for taking a while to reply, but the one on the Chronos site wasn't
the one I have. I used it a few more times since my original post and have
put a bit more pressure down on the clamp screws thinking " Well, if she
snaps it will give me another chance to complain that they dont make things
like they used to " !

It must be stronger than it looks.

Dean.