Tom Gardner

Default Metal popcorn ...or eyelet die

I need to make a steel eyelet 0.505" ID, 0.412" long with a 0.750" flange.
I can't find such dies in any of my die books but I assume a drawn shell
from deep-draw steel and punch out the bottom. Can I do it in one draw?
Has anyone done eyelet dies and just happens to have this size on the shelf
and will sell it? (Nice thought!) Can anyone recommend a book or such?
None of my dimensions are final. I used to buy this from Stimpson but they
declared it obsolete and want a 100k order to run it. I tried 50 suppliers
without luck. I use 10k / yr. at most. I use it to hold 4" knot brushes
together and the eyelet becomes the arbor hole for the 1/2" version. I am
still looking for 9/16 x .028 wall DOM tube that would work also. I am
using a brass eyelet substitute but the brass can't take it and over 20% are
failing. One can hear them pop in the boxes ready to ship....
Ping..Ping.......Ping. Ping...Ping. Sounds like metal popcorn

Gunner

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:59:26 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a job for a cheap Tornos A15 or Brown & Sharp 00 screw
machine. Pick up the machine for a couple hundred bucks and make em
yourself. Two tools and away you go.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Backlash

Tom, if you happen to find some tubing that will work, do a search on end
finishing machines. These will roll the flange for you, or it can be done on
a screw machine with roller tooling.

RJ

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Tom Gardner

I do a fair amount of tube for similar things. We have lots of experience
with swaging tube. The trick is to use readily available tube, that way
it's cheap. The problem is in having to but 5,000 foot mill runs of *******
sizes. I send it out to get cut and deburred and that's not so cheap but it
is impossible to do everything well in-house. I have even had tubes made
from solid stock, can't do that anymore with the price of steel.

"Backlash" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Gardner

Sounds like a job for a cheap Tornos A15 or Brown & Sharp 00 screw
machine. Pick up the machine for a couple hundred bucks and make em
yourself. Two tools and away you go.

Gunner

I have had tubes made from solid stock but it's too costly now, too much
scrap. I'm trying to farm more stuff out, away from union constraints that
double my costs. A box of parts doesn't drink, miss work, come late or
goof-off. I am willing to make the dies for this eyelet if I can't find
them. I would prefer to buy them even at twice the cost of making them. To
put it in perspective, they used to cost me $0.115 each. I'd gladly pay a
quarter for them if I could get a few thousand at a time. At least the dies
are small and cheap to make...if I only knew how!

Roger Shoaf

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
I do a fair amount of tube for similar things. We have lots of experience
with swaging tube. The trick is to use readily available tube, that way
it's cheap. The problem is in having to but 5,000 foot mill runs of

*******
sizes.

Sounds to me like this would not be an off size. If you started with a 1/2
id 9/16 od tubing, (that should be common) you should be able to form that
over at the ends run a reem or a sizing ball down the middle and be done
with it.

The dies you need would be rather simple affairs, why not find a local tool
and die maker to make you a set. There should be a glut of die makers in
your neck of the woods.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Backlash" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Gardner

Good point! Fingers to do the walkin'

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

[...]

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then

"Backlash" wrote in message
[...]

HaroldA102

how can i get a sample or adrawing or pic
of what you want?
Tom Gardner

For the eyelet or the die?

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
[...]

I have a circa 1940's book on metal extrusion, it shows such parts as
eyelets being extruded from a washer-type blank. With even mild steel
and as large a part as you want, it would take a pretty good-sized
press to accomplish that. The die is basically a shouldered hole that
the blank fits in and the punch has a radiused pilot on it. The metal
extrudes along the pilot as pressure is applied and forms the tube
section.

Stan

HaroldA102

both would help die and eyelet
Tom Gardner

The dimentions: 0.505" ID, 0.412" long with a 0.750" flange would be
perfect. I don't have specs on the die.

"HaroldA102" wrote in message

both would help die and eyelet

Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 October 4th 03 04:40 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
Men, Metal & Machines - NEW Model Engineering Expo (Updated 23 Aug 2003) Scott S. Logan Metalworking 0 September 23rd 03 03:30 PM
shingle or metal roof? [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 30th 03 04:15 PM
Popcorn ceiling barry martin Home Repair 4 July 19th 03 12:42 AM