Roger Shoaf

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
I do a fair amount of tube for similar things. We have lots of experience
with swaging tube. The trick is to use readily available tube, that way
it's cheap. The problem is in having to but 5,000 foot mill runs of

*******
sizes.

Sounds to me like this would not be an off size. If you started with a 1/2
id 9/16 od tubing, (that should be common) you should be able to form that
over at the ends run a reem or a sizing ball down the middle and be done
with it.

The dies you need would be rather simple affairs, why not find a local tool
and die maker to make you a set. There should be a glut of die makers in
your neck of the woods.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

I send it out to get cut and deburred and that's not so cheap but it
is impossible to do everything well in-house. I have even had tubes made
from solid stock, can't do that anymore with the price of steel.

"Backlash" wrote in message
Tom, if you happen to find some tubing that will work, do a search on

end
finishing machines. These will roll the flange for you, or it can be

done
on
a screw machine with roller tooling.

RJ

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
.. .
I need to make a steel eyelet 0.505" ID, 0.412" long with a 0.750"
flange.
I can't find such dies in any of my die books but I assume a drawn

shell
from deep-draw steel and punch out the bottom. Can I do it in one

draw?
Has anyone done eyelet dies and just happens to have this size on the

shelf
and will sell it? (Nice thought!) Can anyone recommend a book or such?
None of my dimensions are final. I used to buy this from Stimpson but

they
declared it obsolete and want a 100k order to run it. I tried 50
suppliers
without luck. I use 10k / yr. at most. I use it to hold 4" knot

brushes
together and the eyelet becomes the arbor hole for the 1/2" version. I
am
still looking for 9/16 x .028 wall DOM tube that would work also. I am
using a brass eyelet substitute but the brass can't take it and over

20%
are
failing. One can hear them pop in the boxes ready to ship....
Ping..Ping.......Ping. Ping...Ping. Sounds like metal popcorn