Modat22

Default what diameter should the bearing be for a .689 dia hole?

I'm trying to build something from a set of plans and it shows small
flange bearings installed in a .689" hole. the shaft is 1/4".

Looking about I found flanged bearings that are .625 dia and .75
diameter.

what size bearing should I use in this instance? should I use a
different hole size for a better fit?

In general how much clearance should a person allow for a snug fit
bearing?
Roger Shoaf

"Modat22" wrote in message
news
I'm trying to build something from a set of plans and it shows small
flange bearings installed in a .689" hole. the shaft is 1/4".

Looking about I found flanged bearings that are .625 dia and .75
diameter.

what size bearing should I use in this instance? should I use a
different hole size for a better fit?

In general how much clearance should a person allow for a snug fit
bearing?

Sounds to me like you have plans to use a 23mm bearing. Most ball bearings
are metric sized.

I have found that the guys at places like Motion Industries, Bearing Belt
and Chain and other bearing supply houses are very helpful in helping you
select the right bearing and giving you the manufacturers specs on proper
fitting. They also have nice pre-ground shaft material for a perfect fit.
Check your yellow pages under bearings.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Jim Stewart

Modat22 wrote:
I'm trying to build something from a set of plans and it shows small
flange bearings installed in a .689" hole. the shaft is 1/4".

Looking about I found flanged bearings that are .625 dia and .75
diameter.

what size bearing should I use in this instance? should I use a
different hole size for a better fit?

In general how much clearance should a person allow for a snug fit
bearing?

..6875" is 11/16". McMaster Carr has a flanged, simi-
precision ball bearing with an O.D of 11/16" and
a shaft diameter of 1/4" (6383K213, $2.44).

The catalog says +.005 / -.000 for the od tolerance.
Assuming you make a .689" hole, you're .0015 over
and within tolerance. Please check the math yourself
before making chips (:

I don't have my Machinery's Handbook with me to
look up fits.

Modat22

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:44:42 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Modat22 wrote:
I'm trying to build something from a set of plans and it shows small
flange bearings installed in a .689" hole. the shaft is 1/4".

Looking about I found flanged bearings that are .625 dia and .75
diameter.

what size bearing should I use in this instance? should I use a
different hole size for a better fit?

In general how much clearance should a person allow for a snug fit
bearing?

.6875" is 11/16". McMaster Carr has a flanged, simi-
precision ball bearing with an O.D of 11/16" and
a shaft diameter of 1/4" (6383K213, $2.44).

The catalog says +.005 / -.000 for the od tolerance.
Assuming you make a .689" hole, you're .0015 over
and within tolerance. Please check the math yourself
before making chips (:

I don't have my Machinery's Handbook with me to
look up fits.

Thanks, I'm learning.