Terry

Default Squaring Cross Slide on Craftsman 12x30 lathe

I own an older 12x30 Craftsman lathe model 101.07403. I am having a
difficult time figuring out a quick an easy way to accurately adjust the
cross slide so it is perpendicular to the chuck. Up untill now I have just
been using the original scales engraved onto the cross slide. But no matter
how careful I am to line up the 90deg. mark with the mark on the carraige,
it always needs re-adjusting.

So what happens is when I set the cross slide to turn down a small portion
of rod, it always ends up with a slight taper. The last thing I cut had a
..002 difference over .5". So what I end up having to do is keep on testing
it after each pass, and slightly adjusting the cross slide unitl I have
removed all the taper. But this takes a few tries, and when I move it to a
different angle, I have to go through the hassel of getting it lined up
again.

So is there a quick an accurate way to adjust the cross slide without having
to continuously take cuts and re-adjusting until it is just right. And what
I am seeing is not deflection. I am coming out less that 1" from the chuck
and turning 3/4" diameter CRS taking only .005 of a cut.

Also, when I lock down the cross slide and use the whole carraige to turn
down a peice, it comes out just fine.

Thanks

tomcas

Terry wrote:
[...]

If you are not turning a taper, then don't use the cross slide to turn a
diameter, or cut a face for that matter. Simply use the carriage or
cross feed and the cut will be as square as the lathe itself.