Matt

Default Heat treating aluminum?

Hi,

New to this group and figured I would post a question.

Wondering if there are any metallurgist's on this group, or someone who
knows how to heat treat aluminum?

What I've got is 2024 in a "O" rating and would like to heat treat it
to at least a T3, if not higher. Thickness's I am working with are .032
/ .063 /.080.

I know there is a way to do this with an oven and heat. I have access
to an oven that is programable and could melt aluminum. It is also
programable to step down in stages, for desired times and temps.
Anyone know how to do this? If you could, try not to get to
technical, just looking for a basic way to do it if possible? If
there isn't a basic way, that would be a good answer also.
Thanks, Matt

PrecisionMachinisT

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

New to this group and figured I would post a question.

Wondering if there are any metallurgist's on this group, or someone who
knows how to heat treat aluminum?

What I've got is 2024 in a "O" rating and would like to heat treat it
to at least a T3, if not higher. Thickness's I am working with are .032
/ .063 /.080.

I know there is a way to do this with an oven and heat. I have access
to an oven that is programable and could melt aluminum. It is also
programable to step down in stages, for desired times and temps.
Anyone know how to do this? If you could, try not to get to
technical, just looking for a basic way to do it if possible? If
there isn't a basic way, that would be a good answer also.
Thanks, Matt

http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/2024.asp

" This is an age-hardening alloy and responds to heat treatment to
accomplish the strengthening (aging). See "Annealing" and " Aging". The T4
condition is attained by a 920 F heating followed by cold water quench and
aging at room temperature. T6 by the same 920 F and quench followed by 375 F
for 10 hours and air cooling "

--

SVL

Matt

So, if I understand the jist of it.

Heat to 920F, quench in cold water and age at room temperature for a T4
rating.

or:

Heat to 920F, quech in cold water and then heated again for 10 hours at
375F and then air cooled at room temp for a T6 rating

Correct? If yes, then my next question is how long do I heat the
parts at 920F? I would think it would depend on material thickness.
I have a few different part thickness's to do. They are .032 /
..063 and .080. The most to do in the .032 and .063. Also, would
the 10 hours of 375F change for material thickness?

Thanks, Matt

Heat treating 4130 steel at home John Olson Metalworking 21 October 7th 15 11:54 PM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 10:34 AM
Heat Keeps Shutting Off Frontier Home Repair 29 December 24th 03 01:44 PM