A.B.

Default Compressor Question

If the tank is in good condition then it would work providing that it
will have the necessary number of threaded openings for fittings. The
threads might be different so machining adapters might be necessary. Do
not drill more openings in the tank, use T fittings if you need more
openings.

Try to make one of the openings act as a drain plug for condensation
water. If that's not possible then make sure you can drain the water
downstream.

A.B.

VW Golf Cart wrote:
Hi, not really related to the topic, but thought someone should have some
knowledge on the subject.

I have a compressor, but the tank is too small. Just wondering if I can
retro fit the compressor on Hot Water Boiler tank? They are rated at 150psi
wp and 300psi tp.

Am I way off here or could this be accomplished??

I am a welder, so welding it up wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

RoyJ

Are thinking about a hot water HEATER tank or a hot water BOILER tank?
They are quite different critters.

I certainly would not consider a used one for the project. They usually
have enough accumulated corrosion to make them pretty weak.

Keep in mind that a failure in a hot water tank results in a small
pressure leak and then just drips. The compressed air tank has a large
amount of stored energy, they can fail catastrophically.

VW Golf Cart wrote:
Hi, not really related to the topic, but thought someone should have some
knowledge on the subject.

I have a compressor, but the tank is too small. Just wondering if I can
retro fit the compressor on Hot Water Boiler tank? They are rated at 150psi
wp and 300psi tp.

Am I way off here or could this be accomplished??

I am a welder, so welding it up wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Harold & Susan Vordos

"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
Are thinking about a hot water HEATER tank or a hot water BOILER tank?
They are quite different critters.

I certainly would not consider a used one for the project. They usually
have enough accumulated corrosion to make them pretty weak.

Keep in mind that a failure in a hot water tank results in a small
pressure leak and then just drips. The compressed air tank has a large
amount of stored energy, they can fail catastrophically.

I'd be inclined to agree.

Harold

Bruce L. Bergman

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:41:10 -0330, "VW Golf Cart"
wrote:

Hi, not really related to the topic, but thought someone should have some
knowledge on the subject.

I have a compressor, but the tank is too small. Just wondering if I can
retro fit the compressor on Hot Water Boiler tank? They are rated at 150psi
wp and 300psi tp.

No way. Air receivers are built a lot more stout than water heater
tanks, because a water tank failure usually isn't catastrophic, and an
air receiver usually is. Go look at film of a steam boiler explosion
sometime, there's a whole lot of energy that wants to get out in a
hurry - air isn't quite as nasty as steam, but it still goes BOOM!

I'd go locate a rated air receiver tank and add it in series with
the existing unit, as in downstream. You could put a refrigerated air
dryer unit between the two tanks and install a restrictor orifice or
flow regulator at the drier input, so now you have a large reserve
tank of dry air after the drier. (And the drier works better without
having to supply flow surges past it's nominal capacity.)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations.

wrote:

Hi, not really related to the topic, but thought someone should have some
knowledge on the subject.

I have a compressor, but the tank is too small. Just wondering if I can
retro fit the compressor on Hot Water Boiler tank? They are rated at 150psi
wp and 300psi tp.

Am I way off here or could this be accomplished??

I am a welder, so welding it up wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

You can also play Russian Roulette with a .45.
I had a client some years ago that did this. It blew up
on him, and, put a bit chunk of shrapnel right through his
stomach and out the back. Considering that he was called
"Big John" for a good reason...this was pretty impressive.
Get a real pressure tank for this. They are not
that expensive.
Regards
Dave Mundt