nattydreadlocks

Default automotive engine boring on a mill

I want to get into the hobby of machinist;automotive machinery to be
exact. I have six kids so I am on a really tight budget. My question
is, can I bore automotive engine blocks on a large grizzly mill? I
have read alot of posts that discourage against this but how difficult
could it be? I am not sure of what particular modle to purchase but it
will be pretty heavy-duty. I can buy a very stirdy jig to hold a
engine block from one of the many companies which now sell machines
which are similuar to a mill. The only problem I can see, is what type
of boring bit to use and how to attach it? Is a R8 end holder sturdy
engough? It must be sturdy enough to bore hole up to six inches. Any
coments?
Joe

I want to get into the hobby of machinist;automotive machinery to be
exact. I have six kids so I am on a really tight budget. My question
is, can I bore automotive engine blocks on a large grizzly mill? I

Sounds like a troll, but I'll bite either way.

Aren't most engines rough bored then honed? I'd think that with enough hone
action, you might be able to bore it on a lathe.
--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Ahernwill

Dont waste your time on this idea- automotive boring machines are very
specialized- your best bet is to cruise around various automotive machine
shops and try to find a used portable boring bar- these clamp to the block
surface to do 1 hole at a time and can even bore a hole with the block in
the car. Then you need a hone ( not a glaze breaker) For hobby work you
might get the basics for under 1000.00 to get started.

I want to get into the hobby of machinist;automotive machinery to be
exact. I have six kids so I am on a really tight budget. My question
is, can I bore automotive engine blocks on a large grizzly mill? I
have read alot of posts that discourage against this but how difficult
could it be? I am not sure of what particular modle to purchase but it
will be pretty heavy-duty. I can buy a very stirdy jig to hold a
engine block from one of the many companies which now sell machines
which are similuar to a mill. The only problem I can see, is what type
of boring bit to use and how to attach it? Is a R8 end holder sturdy
engough? It must be sturdy enough to bore hole up to six inches. Any
coments?

Ahernwill

"Anthony" As for the other poster on the hone...junk bore to start with on
hone....junk bore after honing...

????????

--
Anthony

Robin S.

"Ahernwill" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Anthony" As for the other poster on the hone...junk bore to start with
on
hone....junk bore after honing...

????????

Honing isn't exactly a "high rate of material removal" process. Nasty boring
jobs usually leave reasonably deep grooves in the bore that I wouldn't want
to try to remove with a real (Sunnen) honing machine, especially on a 6"
diameter cylinder. Of course, I've never done it so I could be wrong.

Regards,

Robin

john

nattydreadlocks wrote:

I want to get into the hobby of machinist;automotive machinery to be
exact. I have six kids so I am on a really tight budget. My question
is, can I bore automotive engine blocks on a large grizzly mill? I
have read alot of posts that discourage against this but how difficult
could it be? I am not sure of what particular modle to purchase but it
will be pretty heavy-duty. I can buy a very stirdy jig to hold a
engine block from one of the many companies which now sell machines
which are similuar to a mill. The only problem I can see, is what type
of boring bit to use and how to attach it? Is a R8 end holder sturdy
engough? It must be sturdy enough to bore hole up to six inches. Any
coments?

IF you want to do boring get a horizontal mill, the bigger the better.
They are all over the place for practically nothing. I would look for
one with a 50 taper since tooling is easy to come by. If your lucky you
will find a horizontal with a nuckle head, or two axis swivel head that
will give you vertical capabilities too, and all those mills have
automatic feed.

John
Leigh Knudson

When I was a kid I bored both single cylinder Briggs & Stratton and
four cylinder Crosleys on my Dad's 11" South Bend. It was quite an
exercise as the boring bar he had was simply a big stout boring bar
with not calibrations. You adjusted the bar by loosening the tool and
tapping it gently then made a test cut. Usually took a couple of
evenings to do a Crosley to +/-.0005. I have some Crosley engines to
do right now and you can bet I will be doing them on a Bridgeport type
mill. They don't work well with the standard automotive boring bars as
they have nondetachable heads and you have to have a rigid downstop.
BTW: To the fellow that suggested you use a boring bar sysem that
locates on the top deck of the engine, NO WAY! Good boring machines
locate on the crankshaft centerline. To answer the original poster's
question; a vertical mill is not the machine to bore engines on.
Leigh at MarMachine
Ahernwill

Remember the guy is a low budget hobbyist- every automotive machine shop has
the deck mount boring bars for special jobs and for any production
automotive work they are fine- Indexing off the crank is only necessary for
high performance engines- Don't forget that most mills dont have a table
designed to hold a block and the required accessories, not to mention the
difficulty of lifting the block into place- specialized machines have large
non- moveable tables and open fronts so blocks can be slid into position
from rolling carts. This is all in relation to automotive engines- lawn
mowers, go carts and little stuff like Crosleys are a different story.

To the guy who posted the gibberish about honing, you always rough bore and
hone to fit.

[...]

Dave Baker

Subject: automotive engine boring on a mill
From: Anthony
Date: 05/12/04 14:08 GMT Standard Time
(nattydreadlocks) wrote in
. com:

I want to get into the hobby of machinist;automotive machinery to be
exact. I have six kids so I am on a really tight budget. My question
is, can I bore automotive engine blocks on a large grizzly mill? I
have read alot of posts that discourage against this but how difficult
could it be? I am not sure of what particular modle to purchase but it
will be pretty heavy-duty. I can buy a very stirdy jig to hold a
engine block from one of the many companies which now sell machines
which are similuar to a mill. The only problem I can see, is what type
of boring bit to use and how to attach it? Is a R8 end holder sturdy
engough? It must be sturdy enough to bore hole up to six inches. Any
coments?

Hehe...not a chance in hell...
Ya...you *can* do it.....but the bore will be absolute junk, quality-
wise. R8 doesn't have the ridgity needed to bore the block to the
quality requirements needed for an engine.
As for the other poster on the hone...junk bore to start with on a
hone....junk bore after honing...

Provided enough material is honed out to remove all tooling marks it matters
not a jot what the quality of the original bore is like. It can have 4 thou
deep chatter marks as long as you hone out 8 thou on diameter. Not that anyone
with any sense would want to do that.

I have in fact bored engine blocks on my Bridgeport mill. I made a boring bar
8" long and 2" diameter that clamped directly to the quill nose and became an
extension of it so as to bypass the horribly flimsy R8 bit. Even so it wasn't
nearly rigid enough to bore a block accurately with although much of that is
play in the quill itself. Mills are just not designed to be as rigid as jig
borers.

There wasn't enough travel on the quill which meant boring by winding the knee
up by hand. It was quite fun in a masochistic sort of way, standing there
trying to wind the knee handle at a constant rate for several minutes at a
time.

After experimentation with speeds, feeds and tool tip profile I got chatter
down to a marvellously awful 2 thou or so which meant honing at least 5 thou
out on diameter. However most of that was just the crests of the chatter marks
so it wasn't all solid material. With a coarse stone in the Delapena honing
tool the bulk of the material came out fairly fast and then the last half thou
or so was done on a finer stone.

It was a bloody awful way of boring blocks but saved me about as much time
driving each block twice each way to someone else to get it done as it took to
bore them myself.

Now I have a Wandess boring bar (clamp on the block type) which is wonderful
and leaves a finish so fine you could just about run a piston in it. In fact
when that machine was designed the aim actually was to bore so fine you didn't
need to hone. Of course without cross hatch honing marks a bore never works
properly but back in the 40s the aim was to get engines back out on the streets
as fast as possible and carry on fighting off the Germans.

So no you can't sensibly bore out blocks on any kind of mill unless you are
prepared to also spend ages honing them to finish size.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Dave Baker

From: (Leigh Knudson)
Date: 06/12/04 02:47 GMT Standard Time
When I was a kid I bored both single cylinder Briggs & Stratton and
four cylinder Crosleys on my Dad's 11" South Bend. It was quite an
exercise as the boring bar he had was simply a big stout boring bar
with not calibrations. You adjusted the bar by loosening the tool and
tapping it gently then made a test cut. Usually took a couple of
evenings to do a Crosley to +/-.0005. I have some Crosley engines to
do right now and you can bet I will be doing them on a Bridgeport type
mill. They don't work well with the standard automotive boring bars as
they have nondetachable heads and you have to have a rigid downstop.
BTW: To the fellow that suggested you use a boring bar sysem that
locates on the top deck of the engine, NO WAY! Good boring machines
locate on the crankshaft centerline.

I'm not aware of any normal boring machine that locates on a crank centreline.
Either the block stands on its sump face on the machine table or the machine
bolts to the top of the block. V engines can sometimes be tricky to jig up if
there is no readily available flat face to mount on so they can need a jig that
bolts into the crank saddles. That isn't a function of the boring machine
though. It's a function of the jig that bolts to the machine table that is
hopefully true to the boring head.

Provided either of those faces is as true to the crank centreline as needed
then both methods work fine. I always put a light skim on the head gasket face
before using my bolt-on boring machine to make sure the head face is true.
There's no guarantee that a sump face will be true either though.

However it's a crock of **** to think that tiny errors in the bore's
perpendicularity or centrality to the crank make any real difference to an
engine's power output. In fact if the error in the original bore was very big
you'd never be able to correct it anyway without going to a very large overbore
size.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)

Peter Grey

Do you know Dodge Reidy? He's local engine builder (San Francisco Bay
Area)that's done a lot with Crosleys, especially with vintage race motors.
I suspect the Crossley world is pretty small.

Peter

[...]

Robert Swinney

Do you know Dodge Reidy?

Naw, not I. I'm not in to Crossleys. I was just glad to hear Leigh say
that vertical mills are suitable for engine boring, etc.

Bob Swinney
"Peter Grey" wrote in message
news He's local engine builder (San Francisco Bay
[...]

The Davenport's

I want to get into the hobby of machinist;automotive machinery to be
exact. I have six kids so I am on a really tight budget. My question
is, can I bore automotive engine blocks on a large grizzly mill? I
have read alot of posts that discourage against this but how difficult
could it be? I am not sure of what particular modle to purchase but it
will be pretty heavy-duty. I can buy a very stirdy jig to hold a
engine block from one of the many companies which now sell machines
which are similuar to a mill. The only problem I can see, is what type
of boring bit to use and how to attach it? Is a R8 end holder sturdy
engough? It must be sturdy enough to bore hole up to six inches. Any
coments?

In addition to the other drawbacks to using a BP clone that have been
mentioned, one other BIG drawback is that most BP clones only have 5" of
travel to the spindle.

Mike

Dave Baker

From: Anthony
Date: 06/12/04 23:51 GMT Standard Time
(Dave Baker) wrote in
:

Provided enough material is honed out to remove all tooling marks it
matters not a jot what the quality of the original bore is like. It
can have 4 thou deep chatter marks as long as you hone out 8 thou on
diameter. Not that anyone with any sense would want to do that.

Sure...but what *quality* of bore do you have? What is the roundness and
straightness? Yes....it might work....but for how long? What kind of blowby
and ring wear are you going to see? A hone, to some extent, is going to
follow the bore that exists. This is true of most any finishing operation.
The quality of the previous operations will almost always influence the
quality of the finish operations, to some degree. It is a matter of to
what precision you wish to measure, and how accurate you wish the final
product to be.

The whole point of rigid stone honing is that it doesn't follow imperfections
in the original bore. The most it follows is the general direction of that
bore. A good honing machine removes all taper, ovality and lack of
straightness. Provided sufficient material is left in place to allow a perfect
cylinder to be created after the original boring operation it makes no
difference what quality that boring operation was done to.

As for measuring equipment, my own bore gauge is a Mercer dial bore gauge
reading to 0.0001". Most commercial engine reconditioning operations use 0.001"
gauges which are adequate for the general -0/+0.001" tolerance on piston
fitment. My work needs to be infinitely more precise, and is!

I have two honing systems. A Snap-On 5" stone system which is best for
achieving perfect bore straightness because the stones are longer and a
Delapena 4" stone system which is better for removing taper from the bottom of
bores where the crank saddles prevent you "through honing" as far as you would
ideally like. Choice of stone grit and speed and feed then lead to the perfect
surface finish and cross hatch angle.

I have to conclude that if you think that honing can't create a perfect bore
regardless of imperfections in the boring operation then this isn't an area of
machining that you have actually been involved in. In fact I'll ask. Have you
ever actually used a professional rigid stone engine cylinder honing system?
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
jim rozen

In article , Dave Baker says...

The whole point of rigid stone honing is that it doesn't follow imperfections
in the original bore.

Sunnen. Dave's right.

Jim

please reply to:
Robin S.

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

As for measuring equipment, my own bore gauge is a Mercer dial bore gauge
reading to 0.0001". Most commercial engine reconditioning operations use
0.001"
gauges which are adequate for the general -0/+0.001" tolerance on piston
fitment. My work needs to be infinitely more precise, and is!

Buzz. No.

Dave. You need to be careful as you are walking a fine line here. Some of us
actually make mass produced cars, pieces of mass produced cars, or the
things that make the mass produced cars.

To scratch the surface of your statement above, your Mercer dial bore gauge
is as accurate as is required to measure a bore who's diameter (in only one
plane) needs to be within .001". If you wanted to make the bore to within
..0001", your bore gauge would not be accurate enough. Also, your bore gauge
is _incapable_ of telling you if your bore is *correct*.

GD&T and process capability (Cp and Cpk) come into play big time, just off
the top of my head.

I have to conclude that if you think that honing can't create a perfect

Buzz. That word doesn't exist in automotive manufacturing (and if it did,
I'd be walking to work).

Regards,

Robin

Ed Huntress

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
[...]

Holy cow, you have some Hot-shots? The stamped ones, or cast?

We've got to see some photos of this, Leigh. I saw drawings from the early
'20s of some pretty interesting setups with a 4-cyl. engine clamped to a
slotted cross-slide, and I've always wanted to see someone do it.

Ed Huntress

Anthony

oEmails (Dave Baker) wrote in
:

I have to conclude that if you think that honing can't create a
perfect bore regardless of imperfections in the boring operation then
this isn't an area of machining that you have actually been involved
in. In fact I'll ask. Have you ever actually used a professional rigid
stone engine cylinder honing system?

I have not personally used that system, no. I live next to a
professional race engine builder, and have a decent knowledge of that
machine's operation. They do a good job. I do, however, make the pistons
that go in those cylinders every day. I am familiar with honing
(although we do not hone pistons we do hone on the connecting rod lines).
We hold bore diameter tolerances of +/- 2 microns and roundness to 1.5
microns during boring of pistons, so secondary treatment (such as honing)
is not required. Pre-finish bore quality will definately influence finish
bore quality in the case of piston pin bores. I also have experience that
pre-finish bore quality will influence, to a smaller extent, the finish
honed bore quality of a connecting rod.

Q for you....Have you ever ran a microtrace of the bore? (Say with
something similar to a Mahr MMQ machine?)..May not be as round and
straight as you think, then again...it may be...don't know, I haven't
traced an engine cylinder bore.
I have saw many traces of the connecting rod bores after honing. While
the quality is very good, there still shows up little things....like the
bearings in the spindle, (star-like pattern in the ovality trace) and
other anomalities.
Now.... we are talking on the micron/sub-micron scale here...in the big
picture...it looks like a perfect bore, and functionally, it is,
particularly for the connecting rod bores (press pins....floaters are a
different story). Little, minute details within the cylinder can and do
make a significant difference in the performance of an engine, however.
For instance, ring groove circumferencial waviness, the difference in 7
to 8 microns of waviness and 2 to 4 microns of waviness is worth several
horsepower because of better ring sealing...so a few microns of cylinder
bore roundness and peak to valley reduction is probably worth about the
same, if not more.
I will stand by my earlier statement, that the quality of the initial
bore will influence, to some extent, the quality of the finished bore.
I know for a fact this is true in connecting rods and pistons, and I feel
confident it would be true of engine bores also. The only question for
me, is how much, and is that minor variation worth worrying about.
Interesting question...I may have to investigate that when I get time,
our design guys may have data on that particular subject.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Dave Baker

says...

The whole point of rigid stone honing is that it doesn't follow

imperfections
in the original bore.

Sunnen. Dave's right.

FWIW, my ISP has been screwing around and I've lost days worth of messages,
but Sunnen was my pet subject for a couple of years, and the hones they make
today (non-automotive as well as automotive) make their own way in a hole,
pretty much, and often are used to make near-perfect cylinders in crappy
machined bores, in OEM production. They can straighten a bore that's
cockeyed as hell. They're amazing.

I presume this is what Dave said, in which case, 'sorry for being redundant.

Ed Huntress

Brent Muller

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:03:22 -0500, john wrote:

nattydreadlocks wrote:

[...]

I'm going to second the motion for this idea. Not something you want in
a tiny garage, but if you have the space it's the way to go..cheap, beefy,
and suitable to the task. I have seen pictures of V8 diesel engine
blocks being machined in a bed-type 50 taper horizontal (it looked like
anyway). The setup looked like it was setup for boring-IIRC, the block was
mounted vertically on the bell-housing deck, and it was setting on a
rotary table. With that setup, you could deck it and do all 8 bores in one
set-up. The crank center line would be easy to pick up by mounting the
crank bores over a spud.
The disadvantage with a purpose built automotive boring machine
is just that- you can only do one thing with them, but a mill can earn its
keep in other ways.
Disclaimer-just my opinion, my expertise is not in
automotive machining. Brent.

Robert Swinney

Dave sez, smugly: "I have to conclude that if you think that honing can't
create a perfect bore
regardless of imperfections in the boring operation then this isn't an
area of
machining that you have actually been involved in. In fact I'll ask. Have
you
ever actually used a professional rigid stone engine cylinder honing
system?"

So Dave! Whyn't you make up one of your Cockney stories to go with this?

Bob Swinney

Robin S.

"Anthony" wrote in message
We hold bore diameter tolerances of +/- 2 microns and roundness to 1.5
microns during boring of pistons,

I'm not sure who your customers are, but do different customers ask for
different tolerances on those parts?

I find it interesting to see the difference between the quality requirements
between the various OEMs and Tier 1s.

Regards,

Robin

Richard W.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
news
On 4 Dec 2004 19:42:10 -0800,

This is about the minimum you are going to be looking for:
http://www.jamisonequipment.com/item...?Product=10700

If you can't afford the right equipment, I can *assure* you that you
won't be able to compensate people for the scrap blocks...

You are right that's the one to get, also it lines up to the crank center
line. Kwick way (Spelling?) makes one kinda like it to.

Dave Baker

From: "Robin S."
Date: 07/12/04 03:12 GMT Standard Time

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

Buzz. Please don't preface your comments with buzz again. It comes across as
horribly pretentious.

I'm not sure why you think you need to measure anything with a machine capable
of ten times the resolution of the dimension you are seeking to measure. I
don't claim that my Mercer will measure to 0.0001" repeatably but it will
measure to 0.0002" or 0.0003" repeatably. It's certainly within the realms
where temperature variations make a bigger difference to the bore size than the
accuracy of the honing operation. I have to let blocks stand overnight after
honing to be absolutely sure of the final dimension.

Every time you use a micrometer calibrated in tenths do you just ignore the
tenths and call it to the nearest thou? I'm damn sure no one else does.

Yes there's no such thing as a perfect bore in absolute terms but that's not
what I or anyone else mean. Perfect means perfect in terms of the tolerances
that empirical testing has found to be insignificant in altering the
component's performance. I'm more than happy that what I produce far exceeds
the accuracy requirements of OE production and matches the best that any other
race engine builder in my line of work produces.

As for OE tolerances, they seem to have gone to hell in a handbasket recently.
30 years ago Ford used to grade their pistons in intervals of a few tenths to
match the measured bore size as blocks came off the production line. I measured
a couple of brand new 2 litre Zetec engine blocks some time ago and they had
about 1 thou difference between the smallest and largest bores on the same
block and about the same error on taper and ovality. I'd expect better than
that from a lawnmower engine made in India.

However, engines are amazingly tolerant of bore errors. Piston rings, once they
have bedded in, cope happily with quite large ovality and taper errors and
frankly most of the stuff you read about the importance of blueprinting engines
is pure bull****. It's fine to aim for in theory but makes sod all difference
in practice. Even if you work to the finest tolerances the engine does its best
to ignore your work when it's running. Bores, cranks, rings vibrate like the
bloody clappers when engines are going full tilt at 7k plus rpm and your tenths
tolerance on the original machining are swamped by the thous of movement in the
components when they are under load.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Anthony

"Robin S." wrote in
news

I'm not sure who your customers are, but do different customers ask
for different tolerances on those parts?

I find it interesting to see the difference between the quality
requirements between the various OEMs and Tier 1s.

Regards,

Robin

Yes. The tolerances do change from customer to customer. They also
change due to the design of the engine and piston. There is a complete
book of 'standard' or default tolerances to go along with that. From
what I have seen, the Tier 1's are usually held to a considerably tighter
quality standard than are in-house products. This is not true of all of
the OEM's...

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Anthony

"Robin S." wrote in
news

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Anthony

oEmails (Dave Baker) wrote in
:

I'm not sure why you think you need to measure anything with a machine
capable of ten times the resolution of the dimension you are seeking
to measure.

Because that is precisely what just about any nationally/internationally
recognized quality standards require. Your gauge must have an R&R of less
than 10% of the tolerance you are measuring, and this must be documented
and certified yearly. (Just out of curiosity, when was the last time your
gauge was certified?)

I don't claim that my Mercer will measure to 0.0001"
repeatably but it will measure to 0.0002" or 0.0003" repeatably.

That doesn't even qualify it to guage a 0.001 tolerance.

It's
certainly within the realms where temperature variations make a bigger
difference to the bore size than the accuracy of the honing operation.
I have to let blocks stand overnight after honing to be absolutely
sure of the final dimension.

Agreed on the method of allowing cool time.....but at what temperature?
Quality standards specifiy at what temperature, and humidity, the parts
should be measured. Do you have a temperature controlled lab you are
allowing the block to stabilize in?

Every time you use a micrometer calibrated in tenths do you just
ignore the tenths and call it to the nearest thou? I'm damn sure no
one else does.

In my work, I use certified, tested, and traceable gauging that meets or
exceeds the 10% R&R standard.

Yes there's no such thing as a perfect bore in absolute terms but
that's not what I or anyone else mean. Perfect means perfect in terms
of the tolerances that empirical testing has found to be insignificant
in altering the component's performance. I'm more than happy that what
I produce far exceeds the accuracy requirements of OE production and
matches the best that any other race engine builder in my line of work
produces.

Want to put a wager on that?

As for OE tolerances, they seem to have gone to hell in a handbasket
recently. 30 years ago Ford used to grade their pistons in intervals
of a few tenths to match the measured bore size as blocks came off the
production line. I measured a couple of brand new 2 litre Zetec engine
blocks some time ago and they had about 1 thou difference between the
smallest and largest bores on the same block and about the same error
on taper and ovality. I'd expect better than that from a lawnmower
engine made in India.

You measured this with a gauge that can only be certified repeatable to
0.002 or 0.003, how much difference was in the gauge itself, and how
much of this difference was in your human measuring error? Fact is...at
this point, you do not know.

However, engines are amazingly tolerant of bore errors. Piston rings,
once they have bedded in, cope happily with quite large ovality and
taper errors and frankly most of the stuff you read about the
importance of blueprinting engines is pure bull****. It's fine to aim
for in theory but makes sod all difference in practice. Even if you
work to the finest tolerances the engine does its best to ignore your
work when it's running. Bores, cranks, rings vibrate like the bloody
clappers when engines are going full tilt at 7k plus rpm and your
tenths tolerance on the original machining are swamped by the thous of
movement in the components when they are under load.

Yes...they can cope...for some amount of time...but how much power are
you losing? Blueprinting an engine is not bull****...it is a demonstrated
fact. Proven with test after test. All the thermal expansions you speak
of are calculated into the design. As are the thrust forces, vibrations,
flexing and the like. Did you know that pistons are not round....nor are
they cylindrical in vertical shape. There are reasons for that, a lot of
those are thermal, flex and force driven. When you measure a piston for
fit, where do you measure it?

Taper, ovality, etc, play an important role in ring sealing. As I said
in my other post, 4 to 5 *microns* of difference in the ring groove
waviness makes a significant difference in horsepower. This is due to
better ring sealing. But all that quality in the piston, means jack when
you put it in a bore of poor quality.

I know for a fact Ford bores are held to within microns, the same as our
parts that go into that bore. There are many reasons for that, emissions,
NVH, etc. But the fact is...they are held that tight.
Now, I am not saying that those bores weren't out that much, *but* you do
not know that, and neither does anyone else. Your gauging capability
doesn't allow you to know with any amount of certianty.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Robin S.

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

Buzz. Please don't preface your comments with buzz again. It comes across
as
horribly pretentious.

Yes, you're right. But then I seem to remember a history.

Every time you use a micrometer calibrated in tenths do you just ignore
the
tenths and call it to the nearest thou? I'm damn sure no one else does.

Certainly not.

You have a tolerance of +/- .001"
The component is actually out by .0009"
Is your instrument (which measures to within .001") going to tell you if the
part is in spec?

Simple example but so very relavant.

I understand what you're saying however. The real issue is that we come from
different worlds.

As for OE tolerances, they seem to have gone to hell in a handbasket
recently.
30 years ago Ford used to grade their pistons in intervals of a few tenths
match the measured bore size as blocks came off the production line. I
measured
a couple of brand new 2 litre Zetec engine blocks some time ago and they
had
about 1 thou difference between the smallest and largest bores on the same
block and about the same error on taper and ovality. I'd expect better
than
that from a lawnmower engine made in India.

Well, it WAS a Ford....

However, engines are amazingly tolerant of bore errors. Piston rings, once
they
have bedded in, cope happily with quite large ovality and taper errors and
frankly most of the stuff you read about the importance of blueprinting
engines
is pure bull****. It's fine to aim for in theory but makes sod all
difference
in practice. Even if you work to the finest tolerances the engine does its
best
to ignore your work when it's running. Bores, cranks, rings vibrate like
the
bloody clappers when engines are going full tilt at 7k plus rpm and your
tenths
tolerance on the original machining are swamped by the thous of movement
in the
components when they are under load.

While that may be true, I expect my Toyota's engine and transmission to last
300,000km. Small errors tend to come out over milllions or billions of
cycles (I'm not going to do the math).

Regards,

Robin

Ed Huntress

"Anthony" wrote in message
oEmails (Dave Baker) wrote in
:

I'm not sure why you think you need to measure anything with a machine
capable of ten times the resolution of the dimension you are seeking
to measure.

Because that is precisely what just about any nationally/internationally
recognized quality standards require. Your gauge must have an R&R of less
than 10% of the tolerance you are measuring, and this must be documented
and certified yearly. (Just out of curiosity, when was the last time your
gauge was certified?)

Heaven help me for adding fuel to this, but the logic behind gage R&R is
really going to confuse some people if it isn't explained. And I'm in no
mood to explain it -- nor do I trust my memory enough to do it off the top
of my head.

The point of it, though, is in transferring a dimension *forward* from a
certified gage, or *backward* to a certified gage. In other words, if you're
using a micrometer that's set to your company's QC-lab gage blocks, and
they're qualified from the master blocks you keep in the lab safe, and
THEY'RE the ones you send out every six months to Gaithersburg or wherever
to have certified, you're going to need that 10% tolerance throughout the
chain of instruments and standards. You're also going to need it to get any
kind of ISO certification that serious manufacturers require.

However, two gages, RELATIVE to each other, don't require it. Depending on
the relative accuracy required between, say, an inside and an outside mike,
if they're both set to the SAME gage block, for example, the second one only
has to be able to resolve less than 50% of the required tolerance.

I wrote this down once, years ago, and I hope I have repeated it correctly
above. I certainly don't remember the details. But that was something I
worked out on paper with one of Mitutoyo's top engineering guys for an
article. He was an expert at it, who had a regular path beaten back and
forth to Gaithersburg.

None of this accounts for such things as measuring errors due to an
individual's inconsistencies or thermal expansion, etc. But neither does
anything else. The gage R&R business must be in close control and perfectly
systematic to have any meaning, too.

Ed Huntress

Robert Swinney

Thanks, Ed! More "voice of reason" from you. I can't understand why anyone
would want to argue with the 10:1 convention. It is the instrumentation
criterion that is usually quoted in text books and etc. I've heard of it
and seen it most all of my life. Anyone choosing to contest such criteria
is only revealing his own lack of engineering appreciation and perhaps his
training as well.

Bob Swinney

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"Anthony" wrote in message
oEmails (Dave Baker) wrote in
:

[...]

Anthony

oEmails (Dave Baker) wrote in
:

From: Anthony

Date: 08/12/04 00:47 GMT Standard Time
(Dave Baker) wrote in
:

I'm not sure why you think you need to measure anything with a
machine capable of ten times the resolution of the dimension you are
seeking to measure.

Because that is precisely what just about any
nationally/internationally recognized quality standards require. Your
gauge must have an R&R of less than 10% of the tolerance you are
measuring, and this must be documented and certified yearly. (Just out
of curiosity, when was the last time your gauge was certified?)

snip all the rest

This thread is about the boring and honing of engine blocks for engine
reconditioning. I don't know why you and Robin keep trying to drag it
into an argument about production line metrology which has nothing to
do with the needs of a man trying to bore and hone the one engine he
has in front of him at the time so that the bores are X thou bigger
than the one set of new pistons he has in front of him at the same
time.

I don't really want to debate your topic and you don't seem to have
anything to add about engine cylinder bore reconditioning.

Huh?

Obviously, you did not even read the remainder of my post. This relates
directly to the quality of the bore. But if you can't measure that
quality, and from your previous posts, it is obvious you may not even
understand what entails a quality bore, what influences other machining
operations have on that bore (if you do not understand, or know what is
required of a true quality bore in an engine, you certainly cannot
understand what effects other machining processes have on that quality),
and the reasoning behind those quality requirements, it is a mute point
indeed.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Anthony

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

None of this accounts for such things as measuring errors due to an
individual's inconsistencies or thermal expansion, etc. But neither
does anything else. The gage R&R business must be in close control and
perfectly systematic to have any meaning, too.

Ed Huntress

Actually Ed, there is an R&R Study requirement for hand gauges that
includes the human element.
The basics...are that you aquire a set number of parts (usually 10), and
two or more operators. Each part is numbered. Each operator separately
gauges each part, and the measurments are recorded by an independent
third party, either another person, or by electronic means. Then the
range and averages are calculated with respect to the tolerance of the
feature, the gauge precision, and other factors to arrive at the
repeatability of the gauge, including the human element. Per the quality
standards we have to live by, the R&R you spoke of, in combination with
this R&R including the human element, must total less than 10% of the
tolerance. It is not an easy target to achieve, by any means.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Ed Huntress

"Anthony" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

[...]

Yeah, there are several components to the whole R&R idea, and anyone who has
to deal with today's QC and dimensional measurement, or who might have to
know what a customer is talking about, ought to read about it. There are
some experts in the business who have written compact little books and so on
that describe all of it.

I think SME has a good one or two on its book list.

Ed Huntress

jim rozen

In article , Anthony says...

Actually Ed, there is an R&R Study requirement for hand gauges that
includes the human element.
The basics...are that you aquire a set number of parts (usually 10), and
two or more operators. Each part is numbered. Each operator separately
gauges each part, and the measurments are recorded by an independent
third party, either another person, or by electronic means. Then the
range and averages are calculated with respect to the tolerance of the
feature, the gauge precision, and other factors to arrive at the
repeatability of the gauge, including the human element. Per the quality
standards we have to live by, the R&R you spoke of, in combination with
this R&R including the human element, must total less than 10% of the
tolerance. It is not an easy target to achieve, by any means.

This is a restatement of my experience that "the new guys always
gage parts *small* on the OD, and *large* on the bores.

This is because consider the reading correct when the micrometer
or caliper is cranked on/in there really tight. I used to tell them
to run the parts tight/loose as the case would be, to get their
lot to come in on target. But picking up a job that had been run
unsupervised by a "new guy" during the day would invariably start
with double-checking any measurement which required any kind of
sensitive feel when gaging.

Jim

please reply to:
Robin S.

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
I understand there's no particular reason you ought to know what I do or
that
I'm one of the leading specialists in engine design and theory in the UK

"Never trust anyone who asks you to."

So please, no bloody stupid room 101 test questions about where the datum
point
for measuring the o/d on a piston skirt is because if you really want to
get
into engine theory with me I'll blow you out of the f***ing water.

Now you're getting nasty Dave. You're actually not the only person here who
cuts metal professionally.

I watch Monster Garage from time to time. It's interesting to watch them
make custom body panels. They hack away at them and then use Bondo (sp?) to
cover up all the marks, dents, scratches, etc.

While this makes for a single *interesting* vehicle, I wouldn't want to make
a million panels like that...

Regards,

Robin