The Davenport's

I want to get into the hobby of machinist;automotive machinery to be
exact. I have six kids so I am on a really tight budget. My question
is, can I bore automotive engine blocks on a large grizzly mill? I
have read alot of posts that discourage against this but how difficult
could it be? I am not sure of what particular modle to purchase but it
will be pretty heavy-duty. I can buy a very stirdy jig to hold a
engine block from one of the many companies which now sell machines
which are similuar to a mill. The only problem I can see, is what type
of boring bit to use and how to attach it? Is a R8 end holder sturdy
engough? It must be sturdy enough to bore hole up to six inches. Any
coments?

In addition to the other drawbacks to using a BP clone that have been
mentioned, one other BIG drawback is that most BP clones only have 5" of
travel to the spindle.

Mike