trumpy81

Default Small Threads ... How?

GDay All,
I plan to do some model engine building in the near future and it crossed my
mind that I dont really know how to cut internal threads at diameters smaller
than 3mm (1/8").

I know I should be able to cut external threads without too much bother, but
how does one tap a hole for such small threads??

Needless to say, I'm not a machinist, yet! But I am learning quickly!

Any help you guys could give me, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, to any aussies here, where's the best place to buy drill bits from
# 80 - 1/8" ?, especially in Brisbane.

TIA
--
Regards
trumpy81

*** Please remove the `_spam_' trap before replying to this message ***

Randy Replogle

"trumpy81" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Have you only cut threads on a lathe?
Do you know about taps, a tool that you "screw" into a predrilled hole which
cuts the threads for a screw or bolt to mate with?
If you're familiar with tapping in general, no problem. Just buy small tap
drills and taps.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you aren't clear on anything.
Randy

Robert Swinney

Internal threads are commonly cut with taps. Taps are readily available in
sizes 0-80 and smaller. # "0" is 0.060". There are small metric
counterparts also.

Bob Swinney
"trumpy81" wrote in message
[...]

Bob May

The best place other than the machinery supply house is the model supply
place. Model train people do a bit of tapping on occasion and any of the
good train stores will have the drills, taps and dies as well as a decent
assortment of screws down to 00-90. The machinery supply places usually
stop the tap sizes at 0-80 although the drill bits go to #80 in the small
end.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

trumpy81

GDay All,

Thanx guys, I knew there'd be a simple answer. I am quite familiar with
tapping threads, I simply wasn't aware that thread taps were available in
sizes smaller than about 3mm.

I'll have to make another visit to my local hobby shop

--
Regards
trumpy81

*** Please remove the `_ spam _' trap before replying to this message ***

Wooding

trumpy81 wrote:
GDay All,
I plan to do some model engine building in the near future and it crossed my
mind that I dont really know how to cut internal threads at diameters smaller
than 3mm (1/8").

I know I should be able to cut external threads without too much bother, but
how does one tap a hole for such small threads??

Needless to say, I'm not a machinist, yet! But I am learning quickly!

Any help you guys could give me, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, to any aussies here, where's the best place to buy drill bits from
# 80 - 1/8" ?, especially in Brisbane.

TIA

What nobody has mentioned is that small taps (1.5mm approx) are VERY
fragile and will break at the slightest provocation. You must take great
care to ensure that the tap is in line with the drilled hole at all
times and that there is no side pressure whatsoever.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
Jim Koehn

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82327

http://www.micromark.com/

Micro Mark is a great source for small tools and parts. Also keep an eye on
E-bay I have gotten some real good deals on taps there, the small ones
don't come up too often but they don't sell high either.

"Wooding" wrote in message
trumpy81 wrote:
[...]

Jon Grimm

for hand tapping in general, one of the first tools I made for myself was a
piece if 1-1/4" sqaure steel bar, with nominal diameter holes drilled in it
from 1/2" on down.
for heavier work, I clamp it to the work, for quikee jobs using smaller
taps, i can just hold in place with my free hand.
this is not foolproof, but way better than trying to eyeball the alignment

another tip is to drill with your tap drill, in say a drillpress or mill
spindle, then swap the drill ith the tap, before moving the work.
That way, you are tapping on exactly the same axis as the drill operation

as to teeny little taps, when we are hand tapping, we use a tap guide as
described above, and make up a knurled knob , say, about 1/2" od, that fits
the body of the tap, and uses a setscrew to bind the tap to the knob, in the
same way an endmill is clamped in its holder.
The knob gives you a much better feel for the torque you are applying,
compared to a t-shaped tap handle.

"trumpy81" wrote in message
[...]

Des Bromilow

www.minitech.com.au located a t bray park is you best bet for all ME needs.
(and prices are very reasonable.

Des Bromilow
Beenliegh

"trumpy81" wrote in message
[...]

Ted Edwards

trumpy81 wrote:

tapping threads, I simply wasn't aware that thread taps were available in
sizes smaller than about 3mm.

I have some screws, nuts and taps down to 000-120 which is 0.034"
(0.8636mm) diameter.

Ted