Emmo

Default sealing a blast cabinet

I bought the Harbor Freight red benchtop blast cabinet for $49 at their
Friday sale. I set it up and tried it out, and it leaked glass beads all
over my garage floor. Really slippery! I need to seal all the seams, and
thought I would ask here before I did it.

Duct tape? Caulk? Any other ideas?

Thanx!

__
"All it took was all I had..."

Roy

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:05:02 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

===I bought the Harbor Freight red benchtop blast cabinet for $49 at their
===Friday sale. I set it up and tried it out, and it leaked glass beads all
===over my garage floor. Really slippery! I need to seal all the seams, and
===thought I would ask here before I did it.
===
===Duct tape? Caulk? Any other ideas?
===
===Thanx!
===
===__
==="All it took was all I had..."
===

When I built my blast cabinet, I used a polyurethane sealant in a
cau;lking tube / gun made by PL...Its available in most builder supply
stores. I put a bead of the stuff between the joints as well as made
fillets in the corners of all joints. Its virtually dust free and I
have not had any leakage. It takes a couple of days for the PL to set
up and not be tacky, but its better than silicone or duct tape could
ever dream of being. Most any of thr PL products will do the job, as I
have used em all for various odds and ends, the Poly roof and flashing
sealer, masonary carack and joint sealer, trim and siding
sealer.........its all good stuff and sticks great on most any metal
right down to HDPE........which is normally pretty hard to get much to
really adhere to.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Ken Moffett

Emmo wrote:

I bought the Harbor Freight red benchtop blast cabinet for $49 at their
Friday sale. I set it up and tried it out, and it leaked glass beads all
over my garage floor. Really slippery! I need to seal all the seams, and
thought I would ask here before I did it.

Duct tape? Caulk? Any other ideas?

Thanx!

__
"All it took was all I had..."

Do you have a shop vac hooked up to it? And is it running? I have a well
sealed cabinet, but if I forget to turn on the vacuum, all that air I'm
pushing in has to get out somewhere. Mine has two louvred ports to act
as intakes when the vacuum is running. But, without the vacuum they
become exit ports and the beads go out along with the air.

One day I got in a hurry and left the vacuum off for a long time. I
spent the rest of the afternoon caughing. Now I wear a dual filter mask
whenever I'm blasting. I think I'll hook the vacuum up with the light.
I've never inadvertently blasted with the light off.
MetalHead

Emmo wrote:
I bought the Harbor Freight red benchtop blast cabinet for $49 at their
Friday sale. I set it up and tried it out, and it leaked glass beads all
over my garage floor. Really slippery! I need to seal all the seams, and
thought I would ask here before I did it.

Duct tape? Caulk? Any other ideas?

Congratulations, I bought one of those cabinets, thinking how could they
screw up a box... Mine also leaked abrasive. I used Silicone Sealant and
it has worked ok. Mine had a single hole on a seam about 2" from the
bottom of the pickup that was quick to find (you could see abrasive
leaking) and easy to seal.

Good Luck,
Bob
Gunner

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:45:05 GMT, Ken Moffett
wrote:

I think I'll hook the vacuum up with the light.
I've never inadvertently blasted with the light off.

My factor Trico came wired that way.

Gunner

"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young
Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building?
On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's?
Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc.
Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems
through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets.
Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that
"civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops"
Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism

cael

http://www.ardice.com/Arts/Movies/Titles/6/60's,_The