Robert Nichols

In article ,
Jim wrote:
: Our 4x6 Harbor Freight horizontal bandsaw isn't cutting straight. The
: blade consistently wanders toward the vise when cutting on the
: downstroke, so that when a cut of 2" stock is complete there 1/16"
: clearance between the blade and stock at the bottom of the cut, but no
: clearance at the top of the cut.
:
: I've tightened the blade and adjusted the clearance between each set
: of guide bearing so the blade can't move or twist side-to-side, all to
: no avail. I'm using a Starrett bi-metal blade.
:
: Has anyone else experienced this problem? I assume what's causing
: this is that the blade isn't exactly perpendicular to the table,
: making it follow a slightly "off" path. But I can't see any way to
: adjust this. Am I missing something? TIA.
:
: -Jim
:
:Thanks for everyone's advice. FWIW, I ended up solving this problem
:by simply inserting a shim under one side of the leading guide bearing
:bracket on the swinging frame. This twisted the blade to make it
erpendicular to the table, creating a straighter cut. Just thought
:I'd mention it since I hadn't seen it suggested elsewhere.

That solves a different problem than the one I had. Yes, the blade
needs to be perpendicular to the table, and if the blade guides can't be
adjusted to make it perpendicular then you have to work out some other
fix. But, the movement of the blade as the frame swings down also has
to be perpendicular to the table. That's a completely independent
problem, and you can't fix it by fiddling with the blade guides. The
test is to set a square on the table and see if the blade will just
graze one edge of the vertical arm of the square as you swing the frame
down. If that's wrong, the only fix is to correct the mis-bored pivot
holes in the base.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"