Anon

Default measuring the length of a screw

does screw length include the part of the screw that is in the nut?

I need a tool to measure the length of a screw. I would normally say,
use a ruler. But my local DIY stores don't sell them, and the rulers
that stationary shops sell are no good because the 0 is not in line
with the end of it. I don't really want to get one of theirs and file
it down.
A micrometer would measure screw length including the nut, but not
excluding it.

How should i measure it, what product should i use and who sells it?!
Jeff Wisnia

Anon wrote:
does screw length include the part of the screw that is in the nut?

I need a tool to measure the length of a screw. I would normally say,
use a ruler. But my local DIY stores don't sell them, and the rulers
that stationary shops sell are no good because the 0 is not in line
with the end of it. I don't really want to get one of theirs and file
it down.
A micrometer would measure screw length including the nut, but not
excluding it.

How should i measure it, what product should i use and who sells it?!

I was tempted to think your post is a troll, but then I realized that
SWMBO might just ask the same kind of questions, bless her heart, so:

*****************

No, screw length does not include the nut. It is the length of the screw
measured from the underside of the screw head to the end of the screw.

*****************

To make an accurate measurement,

Find someplace and buy a steel scale, like this one for example:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Which, if you have a good eye, will let you measure the screw length to
1/64" easily.

Or, if you want to "automate" your measuring, get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5647

Or go hi-tech and get one of these:

(One similar that is fast becoming the most reached for tool in my
shop...Particulary as my eyes age...

****************

By the way, and just to be my PIA pedagog self, strictly speaking, a
"ruler" doesn't have any markings on it, it's a straight piece used for
drawing straight lines. (Like the ones on "ruled paper".)

The thingy with the markings and numbers on it is properly referred to
as a "scale".

HTH,

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Randy Replogle

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

a straight piece used for drawing straight lines.

I've been taught that this is a "straightedge"....

The thingy with the markings and numbers on it

....and this is a "rule"...

a "scale".

....and this is a "miscalibrated rule" to allow for shrinkage in molded
parts.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)

email address is legit

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

Jeff Wisnia

Randy Replogle wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

a straight piece used for drawing straight lines.

I've been taught that this is a "straightedge"....

Me too...I should have pointed out the example I gave was for the
original meaning of "ruler" which has changed over the years. I
certainly agree that if you say "ruler" most people will immediately
have an image of the ubiquitous one foot long wooden dime store thing
the OP mentioned.

But, most chipmakers will tell you they have a "six inch scale" in their
shirt pocket, not a "six inch ruler".

Maybe that's because you can't tighten a slot screw very well with the
end of a wooden ruler, can you? G

The thingy with the markings and numbers on it

...and this is a "rule"...

a "scale".

...and this is a "miscalibrated rule" to allow for shrinkage in molded
parts.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Robin S.

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message

a "scale".

...and this is a "miscalibrated rule" to allow for shrinkage in molded
parts.

In my apprenticeship theory class, the "scale" is the little black etched,
stamped or painted lines with the numbers which are on the "rule".

Interesting note, my instructor used to work for Rolls Royce and they used
to have their 6" rules calibrated once a year (or more, I forget the exact
cycle)...

Regards,

Robin

Robert Swinney

In a related subject:

When the depth of a drilled hole is called out it usually doesn't mean the
depth of the drill's point at the hole's bottom. Depth is measured from the
place on drill's end where the cone point begins. For example: A hole made
with a118 deg. drill (59 deg. angle from side to point) would need to be
drilled a little deeper in order to make the hole's full diameter reach down
to the specified depth. In other words, it is necessary to drill deeper by
an amount equal to the pointed portion of the drill. The math would be:
Extra depth = sin 59 x (1/2 diameter)

And it goes without saying (although someone will surely do it): For
critical depths requiring full diameters at bottom (drilled, then reamed
"square") the extra amount would be subtracted from the specified depth of
hole.

Bob Swinney

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Ah HaH, now I understand! That's why those Rolls Royces cost so much!
Steve
.. .