Jeff Wisnia

Randy Replogle wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

a straight piece used for drawing straight lines.

I've been taught that this is a "straightedge"....

Me too...I should have pointed out the example I gave was for the
original meaning of "ruler" which has changed over the years. I
certainly agree that if you say "ruler" most people will immediately
have an image of the ubiquitous one foot long wooden dime store thing
the OP mentioned.

But, most chipmakers will tell you they have a "six inch scale" in their
shirt pocket, not a "six inch ruler".

Maybe that's because you can't tighten a slot screw very well with the
end of a wooden ruler, can you? G

The thingy with the markings and numbers on it

...and this is a "rule"...

a "scale".

...and this is a "miscalibrated rule" to allow for shrinkage in molded
parts.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"