Jeff Wisnia

Anon wrote:
does screw length include the part of the screw that is in the nut?

I need a tool to measure the length of a screw. I would normally say,
use a ruler. But my local DIY stores don't sell them, and the rulers
that stationary shops sell are no good because the 0 is not in line
with the end of it. I don't really want to get one of theirs and file
it down.
A micrometer would measure screw length including the nut, but not
excluding it.

How should i measure it, what product should i use and who sells it?!

I was tempted to think your post is a troll, but then I realized that
SWMBO might just ask the same kind of questions, bless her heart, so:

*****************

No, screw length does not include the nut. It is the length of the screw
measured from the underside of the screw head to the end of the screw.

*****************

To make an accurate measurement,

Find someplace and buy a steel scale, like this one for example:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Which, if you have a good eye, will let you measure the screw length to
1/64" easily.

Or, if you want to "automate" your measuring, get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5647

Or go hi-tech and get one of these:

(One similar that is fast becoming the most reached for tool in my
shop...Particulary as my eyes age...

By the way, and just to be my PIA pedagog self, strictly speaking, a
"ruler" doesn't have any markings on it, it's a straight piece used for
drawing straight lines. (Like the ones on "ruled paper".)

The thingy with the markings and numbers on it is properly referred to
as a "scale".

HTH,

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)