Jim

Default Metal lathes

I would like to try my hand with a metal lathe. I'm looking at a Jet model
BD-920n, the grizzly g4000, & a $799 lathe at Harbor Freight. I would like any
input on the best bang for the buck between these lathes. I'm leaning toward
the Jet only because I have some of their wood working machines and am pleased
with them. I hear that Harbor Freight & Grizzly look about the same as Jet
machines but I really don't know about the quailty of them. I'm looking to
spend around $900.00 for a metal lathe. Any suggestions would help I just
don't want to throw away $900.00 for a piece of junk.

Thanks, Jim

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:23:18 GMT, (Jim) wrote:

I would like to try my hand with a metal lathe. I'm looking at a Jet model
BD-920n, the grizzly g4000, & a $799 lathe at Harbor Freight.

I have the 9 X 20 from Harbor Freight, and will say this. It's
accurate, but fiddly to set the tailstock on center. It's not a
hogger, and doesn't bring the bucks a hogger would. It won't cut left
hand threads, but I can't see any reason an idler or tumbler couldn't
be built. It has plenty of power for the size of the machine, you'll
have it chattering across the floor before you'll even slow the chuck.
There are some die cast parts, zinc alloys, that I don't care for, but
nothing impossible to replace with steel. I can't say I care for the
drive belt, but time will tell if it holds up or not. As far as I can
tell, without tearing my buddies machines apart, it's the same one as
the Grizzly or the Jet. Low speeds could be lower, 120 RPM for the
minimum, but I can work with that. It's not made for heavy cuts, but
if you take your time, it works pretty well. I don't like turret
toolposts on engine lathes, but all of the imports have them, even my
12 X 36 Grizzly.

The 7 X 12 lathes, I have a Speedway, from
www.homier.com and it works
well, but there is no screw adjust on the tailstock setover. At $300,
they're the cheapest on the market, and the only difference is the
color.

With either of these size lathes, light cuts are going to be needed,
I've taken 1/16 off a side with them both, but that's about the
maximum. They are light machines, made for light work. If you're in
a hurry, anything else would be better. If you're willing to take
your time, they're fine.

I'm not going to get into the "Old American iron vs new Chinese",
mainly because I have a South Bend model A sitting in the basement,
it's been in rebuild for almost a year, and when It's done, I expect
to find out that it's well past prime. Junk when I got it, junk when
the broken and missing parts are replaced.

Keith Marshall

I agree completely with what Gary said. I have the JET and I'm glad to have
it but I only paid $300 for it at an auction.

However, a friend has 4 of the old South Bend 9" lathes and they're MUCH
more sturdy and accurate than mine. They also have a full quick change (not
all models do though!) wherease the JET/Grizzly/HF lathes have only a
partial quick change. And last but hardly least the SB's have power
crossfeed but the others do not.

As for the difference between the JET, Grizzly and HF models, I haven't used
the HF but I've looked one over pretty well in the store and I just don't
see why the JET is so much more expensive. Of course JET is better as far
as support and availability of parts but probably not worth the $300 price
difference. HF often puts theirs on sale for $699.

If you're not in a gotta-have-it-now!! mode you should be able to find a
good used lathe that will serve you well. You just need to arm yourself
with a few buying tips so you won't waste your money on a boat anchor.
There is a site with a good guide to buying a used lathe but I can't
remember the link so hopefully someone else will provide it.

Here's a link for some good info on the smaller lathes that Gary mentioned:

http://www.mini-lathe.com/

One other thing I should point out though is that the lathe itself is only
part of the expense. You'll need tooling and accessories to get any real
use out of it. :-)

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll
get run over if you just sit there."
- Will Rogers (1879-1935).

"Jim" wrote in message
.. .
I would like to try my hand with a metal lathe. I'm looking at a Jet model
BD-920n, the grizzly g4000, & a $799 lathe at Harbor Freight. I would like

any
input on the best bang for the buck between these lathes. I'm leaning

toward
the Jet only because I have some of their wood working machines and am

pleased
with them. I hear that Harbor Freight & Grizzly look about the same as Jet
machines but I really don't know about the quailty of them. I'm looking to
spend around $900.00 for a metal lathe. Any suggestions would help I just
don't want to throw away $900.00 for a piece of junk.

Thanks, Jim

Harry Conover

Gary Coffman wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:23:18 GMT, (Jim) wrote:
I would like to try my hand with a metal lathe. I'm looking at a Jet model
BD-920n, the grizzly g4000, & a $799 lathe at Harbor Freight. I would like any
input on the best bang for the buck between these lathes. I'm leaning toward
the Jet only because I have some of their wood working machines and am pleased
with them. I hear that Harbor Freight & Grizzly look about the same as Jet
machines but I really don't know about the quailty of them. I'm looking to
spend around $900.00 for a metal lathe. Any suggestions would help I just
don't want to throw away $900.00 for a piece of junk.

Then find yourself an old Southbend or Logan. That'll get you a much
better machine for the same or less money.

I can't agree more, other than adding Atlas to your list.

Having had access to several Chinese lathes (including a JET) at work,
I wanted something better for my home machine. Since I really had no
need to turn anthing longer than about 12" inches in length, I
purchased one of the classic model Atlas 12" x 24" on eBay for
$1,250...a bit more than I had been considering, but well worth the
difference.

[To the original poster:]

Still, when you purchase a lathe realize that the tooling and
accessories that you'll likely want/need can add up to more than the
cost of the lathe. Before buying any lathe, it's prudent to check the
eBay listings for accessories, cutting tools and holders, milling
adapters, collet sets, chucks, etc. Here, there are by far more things
available for South Bend, Logan and Atlas, then for any of the Chinese
products.

If you're new to this sort of hobby, be forewarned that your need for
more and more metal working machines grows like Cancer! Get too cozy
with you lathe and the next thing you know you will be lusting for a
horizontal milling machine, a surface grinder, and ultimately a
Bridgeport or Cincinatti vertical milling machine. God forbid your
reaching the point in this disease where you can't live without owning
a computer controlled machine or two...or three! (At this point you'll
obviously need a larger, custom constructed workshop.)

I tell you, it's more addictive than Ham Radio, RCM Planes and cars,
booze, sex and about anything of which I can think.

Still, if you have a family and they support you in this, go for it. I
can think of many far less productive hobbies that you could get
involved with, such as stamp or antique collecting!

Good luck with your lathe purchase, and most of all have fun with it
no matter what your final decision to buy is.

Harry C.
GTO69RA4

I can't agree more, other than adding Atlas to your list.

Quite right. They get blasted by the HLV and 10EE guys in some places, but
they're great little lathes and are easy to regrind. The best "feature" of the
Atlas is how many tons of them were sold. Find some old crabby hobby machinist
and he probably has a trunk of parts for his. That's how I got stuff for mine.

If you are looking at an Atlas, just try for a roller bearing headstock. Babbit
looks good out of the box but at 50 years you're pushing it.

snip
Good luck with your lathe purchase, and most of all have fun with it
no matter what your final decision to buy is.

Harry

GTO(John)