Gary Coffman

On 13 Sep 2004 14:17:39 -0700, (Harry Conover) wrote:
Gary Coffman wrote in message . ..
Then find yourself an old Southbend or Logan. That'll get you a much
better machine for the same or less money.

I can't agree more, other than adding Atlas to your list.

Bought an Atlas brand new 40 years ago. Sold it about 10 years later
when my interests changed. Guy I sold it to is still using it.

Having had access to several Chinese lathes (including a JET) at work,
I wanted something better for my home machine. Since I really had no
need to turn anthing longer than about 12" inches in length, I
purchased one of the classic model Atlas 12" x 24" on eBay for
$1,250...a bit more than I had been considering, but well worth the
difference.

Don't be so quick to write off the bigger Chinese machines. My Chinese
14x40 bench lathe is a fine machine of its size and type. It's even finer
when you consider I paid MSC less for it than you paid for your Atlas.
Love their scratch and dent sales.

Gary