Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT: Plastic Igus Drylin bearings can be cut?

In case anybody knows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 16:26:12 -0000 (UTC)
John Doe wrote:

In case anybody knows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Thanks.

Try reading the Amazon reviews. Sounds like they are brittle, sometimes
they are even broken upon receipt...

Years ago when I serviced printers... GE used what we called graphite
bearings on their dot matrix print carriages. No lube at all. Worked
well but were very brittle. If you happened to drop one on the floor it
would break

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

In case anybody knows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Thanks.

Try reading the Amazon reviews. Sounds like they are brittle, sometimes
they are even broken upon receipt...

Years ago when I serviced printers... GE used what we called graphite
bearings on their dot matrix print carriages. No lube at all. Worked
well but were very brittle. If you happened to drop one on the floor it
would break

That sounds like machined graphite, with no plastic at all.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30/03/2021 17:26, John Doe wrote:
In case anybody knows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Thanks.

Igus do have quite a good technical help service in my experience on the
few occasions I have put queries to them. They also supply 3D printing
filament in various of their product formulations so you may be able to
use your 3D printer to print what you want.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

In case anybody knows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Thanks.

Try reading the Amazon reviews. Sounds like they are brittle, sometimes
they are even broken upon receipt...

Years ago when I serviced printers... GE used what we called graphite
bearings on their dot matrix print carriages. No lube at all. Worked
well but were very brittle. If you happened to drop one on the floor it
would break

GE dot matrix printers? How long ago was this? What speeds, shaft
diameter and loads? I'm really quite curious. How did they wear?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

John Doe wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Igus do have quite a good technical help service in my experience on the
few occasions I have put queries to them. They also supply 3D printing
filament in various of their product formulations so you may be able to
use your 3D printer to print what you want.

Nice thought, I do have one, being able to print plastic parts is quite
cool. Someday, metal! But I would not be an early adopter...

Interesting that Igus makes filament. That's very neat. It suggests a
another use for suitable 3D printers.

Mine probably isn't accurate enough, but whatever. I will look at their
filaments.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

John Doe wrote:

In case anybody knows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Try reading the Amazon reviews. Sounds like they are brittle, sometimes
they are even broken upon receipt...

Yes, I saw that. Hadn't considered them bring brittle, interesting
possibility. Makes sense.

But... Wouldn't the claim they are supposed to be pressed into a
sleeve/block in order to slightly reduce the inner diameter suggest
they are not brittle?

Then again, maybe they are talking about two different products, one of
them a knockoff. Amazon proper sells them for full price, like on the Igus
website. Other sellers are about half price. Would be nice if Amazon would
at least tout their own sales as LEGITIMATE products. No telling where the
others come from.

Years ago when I serviced printers... GE used what we called graphite
bearings on their dot matrix print carriages. No lube at all. Worked
well but were very brittle. If you happened to drop one on the floor it
would break

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 04:16:24 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip
GE dot matrix printers? How long ago was this? What speeds, shaft
diameter and loads? I'm really quite curious. How did they wear?

I've searched for info on these before, nada...

I recall it was a GE Model TN200 Dot Matrix printer, around 1980.
Had two maybe 5/8 inch highly polished bars carrying a 7 or 9 pin dot
matrix ballistic print head. Movement was done using a servo motor, not
a stepper. It was strong, knock your hand out of the way if you weren't
careful. I believe it was 200 characters per second speed. Could get it
with a full keyboard for terminal use.

The only time the graphite bearings were a problem was if somebody
lubed them. Lube was standard on other similar printers so couldn't
really blame the customer. Was nasty to fix though. You could try
spraying Electro-wash in, slide, wipe, spray, slide, wipe, spray... but
you'd get a call back. Needed to remove the bearings and replace them.
Think there were three of them. You could clean them once out but at
that point just cut your losses and put new in...

GE had a whole line of hammer bank/print belt, dot matrix and after I
left laser printers. Company changed from GE to Genicom around the same
time in the early 1980's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GENICOM

Manual for a really old TermiNet 300 hammer bank/belt printer he

https://archive.org/details/bitsaver...e/n33/mode/2up

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

John Doe wrote:

In case anybody knows...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._title_2?psc=1

&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Can those be cut to make shorter?

I would think so. It's polymer plastic or whatever, plastic.

Igus do have quite a good technical help service in my experience on the
few occasions I have put queries to them. They also supply 3D printing
filament in various of their product formulations so you may be able to
use your 3D printer to print what you want.

Do you know where their STL models are?

I see a small sample, but I need the linear bearings.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nevermind.