Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic cylinder (hand-pump and jack) seal replace

It seems I've sinned and blown the seals of a reckoned-to-be
10Tonnes-force hydraulic cylinder. I thought pump only with left hand
and arm at full reach - couldn't overload cylinder. Apparantly not.
Different pump ratings and cylinder ratings. Pump good. Ooops.
I'bve posted a couple of pix. on my website, at
http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/tech/tech...yl_detail.html
How to change seals - or direct me to a resource which shows how to do
it? If you would... The hand-pump and cylinder proved so good that I
there would be lots of tests I could use it for. So minded to go
through the learning curve in order to use hydraulics better. Hence
willing to put in a bit of effort, and know what to do with the
seals...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

https://www.amazon.com/Vickers-Indus.../dp/0963416200

Ordered it. Thanks for hint.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/4/2020 2:38 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
It seems I've sinned and blown the seals of a reckoned-to-be
10Tonnes-force hydraulic cylinder. I thought pump only with left hand
and arm at full reach - couldn't overload cylinder. Apparantly not.
Different pump ratings and cylinder ratings. Pump good. Ooops.
I'bve posted a couple of pix. on my website, at
http://www.weldsmith.co.uk/tech/tech...yl_detail.html
How to change seals - or direct me to a resource which shows how to do
it? If you would... The hand-pump and cylinder proved so good that I
there would be lots of tests I could use it for. So minded to go
through the learning curve in order to use hydraulics better. Hence
willing to put in a bit of effort, and know what to do with the
seals...

I learned quite a lot about hydraulic seals and seal types just reading
the information about various seals available on the McMaster Carr website.

https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe writes:

seals...

I learned quite a lot about hydraulic seals and seal types just
reading the information about various seals available on the McMaster
Carr website.

Thanks for hint - Rich S
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.parker.com/literature/En...stems/5370.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

https://www.amazon.com/Vickers-Indus.../dp/0963416200

Went to a local pub for a drink and 2-course meal, sitting in a quiet
corner, and skim-read the book.
Gives great overview and conveys the ideas of hydraulic systems.
A hand-pump and a single-acting cylinder is much simpler than the
level of this book, which is the likes of driving very heavy-duty
rapid acting production equipment.
However, getting the general ideas with "overshooting" the specific
objective gives very welcome context.
Also some of the equipment I have seen is explained by this book.
So, again - many thanks for mentioning the book.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard Smith" wrote in message ...

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

https://www.amazon.com/Vickers-Indus.../dp/0963416200

Went to a local pub for a drink and 2-course meal, sitting in a quiet
corner, and skim-read the book.
Gives great overview and conveys the ideas of hydraulic systems.
A hand-pump and a single-acting cylinder is much simpler than the
level of this book, which is the likes of driving very heavy-duty
rapid acting production equipment.
However, getting the general ideas with "overshooting" the specific
objective gives very welcome context.
Also some of the equipment I have seen is explained by this book.
So, again - many thanks for mentioning the book.

Manufacturers' application notes can be very helpful.
https://www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/I..._12-300492.pdf