Rich-in-WA

Default Steel Temper - Timber Bracketry

Hello again...

A couple months back I got some great advice from the group
concerning a set of large steel brackets I'm fabricating for a timber
frame house we're building. I have sixteen brackets to make, each
with five pieces, weighing about 40lbs total per assembly when done.
I designed the brackets so all the cutting could be done by my steel
supplier. I now have (32) 1/4"x2"x34" bars that each need six 90
degree bends (insert loud groan). Since I'm doing this in my home
shop, I plan to heat the bar at the bend spot to cherry red with a
MAPP gas torch. I'll then quickly clamp the bar in my (large) bench
vise and (hopefully) complete the bend using a sledge hammer.
My question concerns temper. These parts are grossly
over-designed for aesthetics, but I'd still like them as strong as
possible. Will it do any good to quickly quench the bar in water
after making each bend? I'd imagine that if I just let the bar cool
on it's own, it will end up fairly soft. The steel is nothing
special, just plain structural steel (probably A36) from the local
yard. I don't want to get too fancy here, but if it won't hurt
anything quenching in water seems easy enough to do. As I mentioned
in my original post, I plan to finish these parts by planishing them
with a ball peen hammer and then following up with some sort of rust
resistant finish.

Thanks,

Richard Johnson
Camano Island, WA
Koz

Damn...I wish I had bought a house on Camano Island back in the days
when it was "the sticks". That place is filling up quickly with lots of
spendy houses!

Anyway, I wouldn't bother quenching them. If over-designed, there would
be no real need for extra hardness anyway and you run the risk of
over-hardening and possibly causing cracking. It's a small risk but not
the kind of thing you want to find after installation.

As to finish, if these are way up where you have to really look hard,
I'd have em powder coated. There are some powder colors that look like
iron from a distance. On my in-laws place, some surface rust started
showing up after about 10 years due to tiny amounts of condensation as
well as some of the tannins from the wood. Not a big problem but it
gets a little irritating to see your work with a rusty haze showing up.

Koz (who wishes he was out shore fishing off Camano island right now)

Rich-in-WA wrote:

[...]

Grant Erwin

You can't make that steel any softer no matter what you do. Nor
can you harden it unless you case-harden it -- there simply isn't
enough carbon in it.

I take it you are bending these the easy way?

This is simple forging work. Heat, bend, hammer flat, check for square,
fix as necessary. Afterwards you will have some scale where it was heated.
Bitty little 1/4" flat bar you can bend cold if you like. But you will get
a cleaner bend and sharper inside radius if you bend it hot.

Also, you are confusing "hard" with "strong". Hardening something might
make it more brittle and thus in a sense weaker.

I've heated bends with a torch while shipbuilding in Puget Sound many
hundreds of times -- that's what shipfitters do. We just quenched with
a plain water hose or let it air cool. It ain't a Swiss watch ..

This would be about an hour's work on an ironworker with a brake. Unless
you mean to bend them the hard way, which is a horse of an entirely
different color ..

Grant Erwin
down in Kirkland

Rich-in-WA wrote:
[...]

Ed Huntress

"Rich-in-WA" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hardening the steel probably would not be a good idea. With A36, it's
especially not a good idea. A36 is graded for strength, not for alloy (it's
typically made from re-melted mixed scrap), and you don't really know how
it's going to behave after heat-treatment.

For starters, you don't have to get steel so hot for that kind of bending
that it would quench-harden, anyway. A dull red should be enough to forge it
over, and that's not hot enough to quench-harden.

It's true that you'll probably heat it enough to anneal it, more or less.
But, if the design is overbuilt to begin with, take solace in the thought
that by not quench-hardening it you've improved its ductility. In structural
applications, that can be a benefit. It's less likely to fail
catastrophically.

Good luck with your project. It sounds ambitious and interesting.

Ed Huntress

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article ,
Rich-in-WA wrote:

[...]

Can't your steel supplier throw them in a pressbrake for you?

Rich-in-WA

OK, I won't worry about quenching. More trouble than it's worth and
not likely to do me any good.

I experimented yesterday with bending the 1/4" x 2" bar stock. The
reason I'm doing it myself is

__________
stirups (2) --| |
| timber |
| |
bolt -MM | | MM
bar- [ ]| |[ ]
---- ----
|| ||
base plate ----------------------
Rich-in-WA

Sorry about the half-baked posts - itchy trigger finger...

OK, I won't worry about quenching. More trouble than it's worth, not
likely to do any good, possibly even some harm...

I experimented yesterday with bending the 1/4" x 2" bar stock for the
stirups. The reason I'm doing this work myself is the top two bends
on the stirups need to have 3/4" radiuses (to match the timbers they
seat over), where the bottom 4 bends require a tighter radius (to
match the 1"x1.5" bar that seats here). I though it easier to do this
myself than to try to explain this to someone else and end up getting
it half-right.

It was clear from my experiment that using a big lever to bend the bar
would be better than whacking at them with a sledge hammer. I'm
thinking of clamping the bar in my bench vise and then clamping on a
large 2x4 as a lever. I'm planning to bend the 3/4" radius bends over
a piece of pipe, also clamped in the vise. It took much longer than
expected to heat the bend spot to glowing using a MAPP gas torch.
Since I have 192 bends to make, I may just try to do them cold. The
design I came up with is fairly tollerant if I don't get the four
lower bends spot on. Slack can be taken up using two 3/4" x 6" bolts
that thread down into nuts welded to the baseplates. For aesthetics
though, they should be fairly symetric. I've included a crude text
sketch showing the basic layout of these bracket assemblies.

__________
stirups (2) -- | |
| timber |
| |
bolt - MM | | MM
bar- [ ]| |[ ]
\---- ----/
baseplate ------------------------
nut -- MM MM

Masonry Column

Thanks for the advice,

Rich Johnson
Camano Island, WA
Karl Vorwerk

if you want a quick and dirty forge to heat them up. dig a hole run a piece
of pipe to it and connect the pipe to the blower end of your vacuum hose.
Then fire it with charcoal or coal if you have it. Wear safety glasses. My
brother is half blind in one eye due to a piece of scale getting on his
cornea forging.
Karl

Pork the MSG of the animal world.

"Rich-in-WA" wrote in message
om...
[...]

---

Steve Smith

I think it will be a lot easier to get clean bends heating with a torch
than with a forge. What Rich needs in my mind is an oxy-acetylene torch
for heating.

With a forge, a larger area will get hot and bend along with the corner.
The part in the vise will be ok, but the part on top will have an
extended bend to it, which will need flattening out.

Rich, you're talking about doing it cold; how about getting a cheap
hydraulic press and making some simple tooling for it (for instance,
tooling that will give you the radius you want...).

Maybe you could have good luck using a lever made from square tubing and
bending hot.

You almost certainly want to texture the bars *before* bending.
Texturing after bending will cause your bends to need re-work.

Steve Smith

Karl Vorwerk wrote:

if you want a quick and dirty forge to heat them up. dig a hole run a piece
of pipe to it and connect the pipe to the blower end of your vacuum hose.
Then fire it with charcoal or coal if you have it. Wear safety glasses. My
brother is half blind in one eye due to a piece of scale getting on his
cornea forging.
Karl

Pork the MSG of the animal world.

"Rich-in-WA" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Kelley Mascher

If you heat the material to cherry red you shouldn't need a sledge
hammer to do the bend. If you're too rough while bending them hot in
the vise you can leave a crease on the inside of the bend that will
tend to crack. The crease is actually the impression of the top corner
of the vise jaw. A radiused jaw cover helps if you have a lot to do.

A two pound hammer should do the job. I would just use a big Crescent
wrench to make the bend or make up a bending bar.

It sounds like the planishing is more a hammer finish for decorative
purposes. If you can do this hot and do it before you do the bends it
will be a lot easier. What you have planned is a lot of hammer work,
do some tests before you commit yourself. You might find that the flat
stock looks fine the way it is or that hammer marks down the edge only
looks pretty good.

Cheers,

Kelley