Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sourcing used truck brake drums?

Off the wall question, I know, but any recommendations for
"sourcing" used brake drums from trucks.
Neighbors have two they are using for flower planters / corner
markers and I though "Cool, but they probably would work well for
braziers. After all, they're a cast iron, which will handle heat
relatively well, you can make a small fire in them and they'll radiate
quite nicely. I mean, what's the difference between them and a "son
of Hibachi".

So, where's a good place to "source" a set?
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 3:54:54 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Off the wall question, I know, but any recommendations for
"sourcing" used brake drums from trucks.
Neighbors have two they are using for flower planters / corner
markers and I though "Cool, but they probably would work well for
braziers. After all, they're a cast iron, which will handle heat
relatively well, you can make a small fire in them and they'll radiate
quite nicely. I mean, what's the difference between them and a "son
of Hibachi".

So, where's a good place to "source" a set?
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged
boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

The local scrap yard has lots of brake drums and disk brakes. $.25 a lb.You can probably do better at a place that does brake jobs. I have a grinder mounted on a truck drum and some 4 inch pipe.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Off the wall question, I know, but any recommendations for
"sourcing" used brake drums from trucks.
Neighbors have two they are using for flower planters / corner
markers and I though "Cool, but they probably would work well for
braziers. After all, they're a cast iron, which will handle heat
relatively well, you can make a small fire in them and they'll radiate
quite nicely. I mean, what's the difference between them and a "son
of Hibachi".

So, where's a good place to "source" a set?

Scrap yards, truck shops, truck leasing service centers. I picked the
ones I have up from a Penske shop years ago.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:56:22 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Off the wall question, I know, but any recommendations for
"sourcing" used brake drums from trucks.
Neighbors have two they are using for flower planters / corner
markers and I though "Cool, but they probably would work well for
braziers. After all, they're a cast iron, which will handle heat
relatively well, you can make a small fire in them and they'll radiate
quite nicely. I mean, what's the difference between them and a "son
of Hibachi".

So, where's a good place to "source" a set?

Your local heavy truck repair center -after they get to the scrap
yard it's generally hard to get them back out - at least around here.

Skimming Brake drums rick UK diy 32 March 31st 17 07:39 PM
Turning brake drums Howard Beal[_3_] Metalworking 14 July 24th 15 09:52 PM
Source of used oil drums? David.WE.Roberts UK diy 6 July 15th 13 08:37 PM
Forklift leaking brake fluid from right brake drum Ignoramus18836 Metalworking 47 November 6th 11 11:26 PM
Finger brake vs. press brake Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 May 28th 06 04:29 PM