Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sourcing used truck brake drums?

On Friday, November 27, 2020 at 3:54:54 PM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Off the wall question, I know, but any recommendations for
"sourcing" used brake drums from trucks.
Neighbors have two they are using for flower planters / corner
markers and I though "Cool, but they probably would work well for
braziers. After all, they're a cast iron, which will handle heat
relatively well, you can make a small fire in them and they'll radiate
quite nicely. I mean, what's the difference between them and a "son
of Hibachi".

So, where's a good place to "source" a set?
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

The local scrap yard has lots of brake drums and disk brakes. $.25 a lb.You can probably do better at a place that does brake jobs. I have a grinder mounted on a truck drum and some 4 inch pipe.

Dan