Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Something Like A Utility Knife Blade Only Bigger

We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It
worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally sharp
enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a
similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and
wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more
expensive is still relatively cheap?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/10/2020 00:42, Bob La Londe wrote:
We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It
worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally
sharp enough for the job.Â* It would be a better tool if we could find
a similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and
wider.Â* Is there such an animal?Â* One that while it might be more
expensive is still relatively cheap?

Planer blades, DIY ones are small enough and available in various sizes
and materials, then recently I was helping a woodworker with a Wadkin
BAO planer thicknesser with HSS blades about 310mmx 30mmx 3mm @ about
£15 a pair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2020 5:59 PM, David Billington wrote:
On 04/10/2020 00:42, Bob La Londe wrote:
We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades.

It worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally
sharp enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a
similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and
wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more
expensive is still relatively cheap?

Planer blades, DIY ones are small enough and available in various

sizes and materials, then recently I was helping a woodworker with a
Wadkin BAO planer thicknesser with HSS blades about 310mmx 30mmx 3mm @
about £15 a pair.

Thank you. That's not a bad idea, but to thick for my application. This
is a supported push through application in a very soft rubbery material.
I found a blade called a potato chip blade that might just do the
trick. 0.75" (19mm apx) wide by 4-3/16" (106mm apx) by 0.015"
(0.381mm). The potato chip blades are a little more expensive than
utility knife blades at about 49 cents each (in small (96ct) quantities)
but still not outrageously expensive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 18:49:23 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

How about the snap off box cutter blades the ones I buy at Dollarama
are 3/4" wide by about 4" long IIRC.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2020 7:55 PM, Jon Foster wrote:
On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:

Heavy duty floor scraper blades?

That is definitely an option. I have looked at them. Not to bad for
price if you buy them in quantity. Also looked at carpet blades and
upholstery blades.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:43:02 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It
worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally sharp
enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a
similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and
wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more
expensive is still relatively cheap?

See if you can find a source for 'die knife' It is used to cut the corrugated paper at box factories. It is long and sharp. For their use, thin groove are cut into some very expensive plywood. The die blade is cut to te required length, and driven into the groove with a rubber mallet. My dad was a foreman at a plant, in Ohio and I did service calls in other factories where I saw it being installed. I would call a company that makes boxes to find out where they buy it. I was outbid on a case of it on Ebay recently. I was going to use some for wire stripping machines I want to build.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Terrell" wrote in message

[...]

=====================================

The search term is "steel rule".
http://www.wagnerdiesupply.com/Image...Guide-2016.pdf

PT stands for Point, 1/72", the traditional measuring unit of the printing
trade.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:36:41 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The search term is "steel rule".
http://www.wagnerdiesupply.com/Image...Guide-2016.pdf

PT stands for Point, 1/72", the traditional measuring unit of the printing
trade.

The cartons were labeled 'Die Knife' back then. Either the name was changed, or their suppliers used a trade name for that industry which isn't unusual. I haven't been in a corrugated box plant in over 30 years. There were five where I lived, in Ohio, but there are none close to me, here in Florida. The ones on Ebay were in a carton marked Die Knife. That was the search term that I used. It was a partial carton, and no telling how old it was. There is little to no reason to date code the shipping cartons.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Terrell" wrote in message

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:36:41 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The search term is "steel rule".
http://www.wagnerdiesupply.com/Image...Guide-2016.pdf

PT stands for Point, 1/72", the traditional measuring unit of the printing
trade.

The cartons were labeled 'Die Knife' back then. Either the name was
changed, or their suppliers used a trade name for that industry which isn't
unusual. I haven't been in a corrugated box plant in over 30 years. There
were five where I lived, in Ohio, but there are none close to me, here in
Florida. The ones on Ebay were in a carton marked Die Knife. That was the
search term that I used. It was a partial carton, and no telling how old it
was. There is little to no reason to date code the shipping cartons.

Googling for '"die knife" wasn't very productive.
http://www.joinordieknives.com/

"Steel rule die cutting blades" gets results.
https://www.freemansupply.com/brochures/dieboard.pdf