Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Something Like A Utility Knife Blade Only Bigger

On Saturday, October 3, 2020 at 7:43:02 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades. It
worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally sharp
enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a
similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and
wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more
expensive is still relatively cheap?

See if you can find a source for 'die knife' It is used to cut the corrugated paper at box factories. It is long and sharp. For their use, thin groove are cut into some very expensive plywood. The die blade is cut to te required length, and driven into the groove with a rubber mallet. My dad was a foreman at a plant, in Ohio and I did service calls in other factories where I saw it being installed. I would call a company that makes boxes to find out where they buy it. I was outbid on a case of it on Ebay recently. I was going to use some for wire stripping machines I want to build.