Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default Something Like A Utility Knife Blade Only Bigger

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 18:49:23 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 10/3/2020 5:59 PM, David Billington wrote:
On 04/10/2020 00:42, Bob La Londe wrote:
We were working on a tool today using a dozen utility knife blades.

It worked, and the blades are cheap, readily available, and generally
sharp enough for the job. It would be a better tool if we could find a
similar blade that has those attributes, and is a little longer and
wider. Is there such an animal? One that while it might be more
expensive is still relatively cheap?

Planer blades, DIY ones are small enough and available in various

sizes and materials, then recently I was helping a woodworker with a
Wadkin BAO planer thicknesser with HSS blades about 310mmx 30mmx 3mm @
about £15 a pair.

Thank you. That's not a bad idea, but to thick for my application. This
is a supported push through application in a very soft rubbery material.
I found a blade called a potato chip blade that might just do the
trick. 0.75" (19mm apx) wide by 4-3/16" (106mm apx) by 0.015"
(0.381mm). The potato chip blades are a little more expensive than
utility knife blades at about 49 cents each (in small (96ct) quantities)
but still not outrageously expensive.

How about the snap off box cutter blades the ones I buy at Dollarama
are 3/4" wide by about 4" long IIRC.