Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rebar for hanging street lights - bad idea?

I live in New Hampshire (The Granite State) and have a very long driveway. I am looking at putting up 18 street lamps along the driveway. Bases will be made of concrete as difficult to dig here.

I am thinking to have 1/2" rebar bent into J shape and hanging light fixture at end. Radius would be about 5'. I think the rebar will dance a little in the wind and should have a nice visual effect.

I am concerned that rebar might not be able to stand up tho as it isn't constructed of high grade steel.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 1:58:24 PM UTC-4, Bob LaFrance wrote:
I live in New Hampshire (The Granite State) and have a very long driveway. I am looking at putting up 18 street lamps along the driveway. Bases will be made of concrete as difficult to dig here.

I am thinking to have 1/2" rebar bent into J shape and hanging light fixture at end. Radius would be about 5'. I think the rebar will dance a little in the wind and should have a nice visual effect.

I am concerned that rebar might not be able to stand up tho as it isn't constructed of high grade steel.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Bob

P.S. Light fixtures only 2 pounds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob LaFrance" wrote in message

I live in New Hampshire (The Granite State) and have a very long driveway.
I am looking at putting up 18 street lamps along the driveway. Bases will
be made of concrete as difficult to dig here.

I am thinking to have 1/2" rebar bent into J shape and hanging light fixture
at end. Radius would be about 5'. I think the rebar will dance a little in
the wind and should have a nice visual effect.

I am concerned that rebar might not be able to stand up tho as it isn't
constructed of high grade steel.

Any thoughts?

thanks
Bob

Make one and try it. Exposed bare steel rusts only a few thousandths of an
inch per year except where water is trapped against it (the base), then it
may pit. The rust color blends well with nature here.

You might try chain link fence top rail, which has reduced ends to connect
the lengths and is available in black or galvanized. it can be bent by hand
and eye between two closely spaced trees. I use it for my TV antenna mast
and straighten it that way after a bad storm bends it. The lamp wire would
be protected inside.

I don't know where you are so I picked Nashua
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Galvanized-...Rail/999989216
https://www.gatecityfence.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 10:58:24 AM UTC-7, Bob LaFrance wrote:

I am looking at putting up 18 street lamps along the driveway. Bases will be made of concrete...

I am concerned that rebar might not be able to stand up tho as it isn't constructed of high grade steel.

I'm told that the steel in rebar doesn't take welding well, it gets brittle, so a triangular
truss wouldn't give a nice stiff post either. Actual lamp standards are usually
spun aluminum (inexpensive cold-worked metal) with bolt-pattern bases that are
relatively easy to join to a concrete footing.

I'd buy something like that, not build.
Start by looking at parking lot lamps, and note any brandnames on the parts?

Other possibility: you might also want to consider
low-level lighting (short posts, light directed down onto path/roadway).

How would these fit into the Granite state?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Grey-Lantern-Japanese-Garden-Pagoda-Stone_60231251289.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 11:09:27 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 10:58:24 AM UTC-7, Bob LaFrance wrote:

I am looking at putting up 18 street lamps along the driveway. Bases will be made of concrete...

I am concerned that rebar might not be able to stand up tho as it isn't constructed of high grade steel.

I'm told that the

steel in rebar doesn't take welding well, it gets brittle, so a triangular
truss wouldn't give a nice stiff post either.

Some rebar is speced for welding.

I have never had a problem with welding rebar, but it was not for anything that needed high strength.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thank you for thoughtful post. I wouldn't attempt to bend by hand. I think I can get them done on a machine. See link below. I suppose a higher grade of rebar or just some solid bar might be better. Since I have near 18 lights to do I am concerned with cost. The design is fairly done - just doing details now. I want the lamps in the middle of the driveway. Should be spectacular if they are on motion sensors. Turning on in front of you while turning off behind you.

On a hilltop in Warner, Just above lake Massasecum.

Thanks
Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv4Gf1aj7SQ