Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rebar for hanging street lights - bad idea?

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 11:09:27 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 10:58:24 AM UTC-7, Bob LaFrance wrote:

I am looking at putting up 18 street lamps along the driveway. Bases will be made of concrete...

I am concerned that rebar might not be able to stand up tho as it isn't constructed of high grade steel.

I'm told that the

steel in rebar doesn't take welding well, it gets brittle, so a triangular
truss wouldn't give a nice stiff post either.

Some rebar is speced for welding.

I have never had a problem with welding rebar, but it was not for anything that needed high strength.

Dan