Old October 30th 19, 04:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default air tank for vacuum

I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel. We have been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them. My thought was to use a 20 gallon,
200 psi, 650 degree F rated air tank. This would not be a true vacuum. There
will be constant air flow. The hot oil that we need to vacuum is only about 1
to 1 1/2 inches deep, so, a standard hot oil pump will not work.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...um-649262-.htm

Old October 30th 19, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/29/2019 10:18 PM, Leighton1210 wrote:
I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel.¬* We have been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them.¬* My thought was to use a 20 gallon,
200 psi, 650 degree F rated air tank.¬* This would not be a true vacuum.¬* There
will be constant air flow.¬* The hot oil that we need to vacuum is only about 1
to 1 1/2 inches deep, so, a standard hot oil pump will not work.

You can pull a good very high vacuum on a 304ss, 15 gallon beer keg.
with no problem. I've done that many times with no problems.
They weld easily with TIG.

Old October 30th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/29/2019 8:18 PM, Leighton1210 wrote:
I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel.¬* We have been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them.¬* My thought was to use a 20
gallon,
200 psi, 650 degree F rated air tank.¬* This would not be a true vacuum.
There
will be constant air flow.¬* The hot oil that we need to vacuum is only
about 1
to 1 1/2 inches deep, so, a standard hot oil pump will not work.

Weld a skeleton around the drum?
Old October 31st 19, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 11:18:06 PM UTC-4, Leighton1210 wrote:
I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel. We have been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them. My thought was to use a 20 gallon,
200 psi, 650 degree F rated air tank. This would not be a true vacuum. There
will be constant air flow. The hot oil that we need to vacuum is only about 1
to 1 1/2 inches deep, so, a standard hot oil pump will not work.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...um-649262-.htm

You can pull a serious vacuum on a depleted Freon tank. Also there are refrigerant recovery tanks that have dual valves - one for gas at the top and one for liquid with a dip tube to the bottom.
Old November 1st 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leighton1210 wrote:
I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel. We have been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them.

First thought is put a valve on the vacuum line, if you can't do that
can you put an air bleed on the drum to control vacuum?

It would help to know how much oil is being picked up and it's viscosity,
both hot and at ambient temp.

HTH,

bob prohaska

Old November 1st 19, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"bob prohaska" wrote in message
Leighton1210
wrote:
I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel. We
have been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will
collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them.

First thought is put a valve on the vacuum line, if you can't do
that
can you put an air bleed on the drum to control vacuum?

It would help to know how much oil is being picked up and it's
viscosity,
both hot and at ambient temp.

HTH,

bob prohaska

Can a paint pressure tank hold a vacuum?

Old November 1st 19, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leighton1210 wrote:
I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel. We have
been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will
collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them.

First thought is put a valve on the vacuum line, if you can't do that
can you put an air bleed on the drum to control vacuum?

It would help to know how much oil is being picked up and it's viscosity,
both hot and at ambient temp.

HTH,

bob prohaska

Can a paint pressure tank hold a vacuum?

Yes, the Harbor Freight 2.5 gal paint tank makes a nice vacuum chamber for
degassing resins for casting and potting (according to several YouTube
videos). As others have said, we really need to know how much oil will be
sucked up at one time. I'm also curious how the 55 gal drums failed - did
the ends or the side give way and implode?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Old November 2nd 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leighton1210 wrote:
[...]

I killed a 55g, years ago, with my AC vac pump. The sides collapsed on that one.

Old November 2nd 19, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 00:30:16 -0400, "Carl"
wrote:

I'm also curious how the 55 gal drums failed - did
the ends or the side give way and implode?

I'm sure it will vary, but here are some school kids trying it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsoE4F2Pb20
--
RoRo
Old November 3rd 19, 01:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2019-10-30, Leighton1210 wrote:

I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel. We have
been using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will
collapse when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them.

Are these plastic drums or steel? I think that the vacuum is
about the same value for hot or cold oil, but the hot oil softens
plastic drums, making it easier for the vacuum to collapse them.

My thought was to
use a 20 gallon, 200 psi, 650 degree F rated air tank.

How big a tank? Remember, tanks made for pressure are not
necessarily structurally designed for vacuum -- high or even mild. I
presume that the level of vacuum is what you get out of a Shop Vac type
device. The limit there is what the pump can produce before it starts
spinning faster because the air in the device is too thin to resist the
motor's force.

This would not
be a true vacuum. There will be constant air flow. The hot oil that we
need to vacuum is only about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep, so, a standard hot
oil pump will not work.

Again -- is it a plastic drum? I'll bet a steel one would
collapse at the same vacuum whether hot or cold -- and a higher vacuum
than what collapses the plastic drum when hot.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail