Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

Default air tank for vacuum

On 10/31/2019 11:30 PM, Carl wrote:
"Jim Wilkins"Â* wrote in message ...

"bob prohaska" wrote in message
Leighton1210 wrote:
I need a way to vacuum hot oil without collapsing a vessel.Â* We have been
using 55 gallon drums for oil that has cooled down, but, they will collapse
when enough hot oil is vacuumed into them.

First thought is put a valve on the vacuum line, if you can't do that
can you put an air bleed on the drum to control vacuum?

It would help to know how much oil is being picked up and it's viscosity,
both hot and at ambient temp.

HTH,

bob prohaska

Can a paint pressure tank hold a vacuum?

Yes, the Harbor Freight 2.5 gal paint tank makes a nice vacuum chamber for
degassing resins for casting and potting (according to several YouTube videos).
As others have said, we really need to know how much oil will be sucked up at
one time.Â* I'm also curious how the 55 gal drums failed - did the ends or the
side give way and implode?

I killed a 55g, years ago, with my AC vac pump. The sides collapsed on that one.