Old October 8th 19, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old October 8th 19, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods
end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish
this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a
roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want
to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this
rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

That sounds like an easy lathe job. Do you have one?

Old October 8th 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How much force will be on the extension?
Old October 8th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I think there must be a lot you have not mentioned. Otherwise you would just use a longer rod to begin with and not have to do any attaching.

Dan
Old October 9th 19, 01:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:35:39 +0100
David Billington wrote:

snip
From previous postings I and others thought this guy
might be a troll so maybe why so little detail.

Nah, he's cool. Been asking similar questions to that here for years
now. As I recall he lives in the city and has limited space for
machines. Repairs old arcade games like pinball machines

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Old October 11th 19, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, I have a lathe. What I don't have and was looking into getting is some welding equipment. (I have a little MIG welding experience from back in the early 80s).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old October 11th 19, 07:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods
end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish
this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a
roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want
to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this
rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

That sounds like an easy lathe job. Do you have one?

Yes, I have a lathe. What I don't have is welding equipment, yet. (I did learn MIG welding back in the early 80s).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old October 11th 19, 07:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 5:04:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I think there must be a lot you have not mentioned. Otherwise you would just use a longer rod to begin with and not have to do any attaching.

Dan

It comes down to what I already have and have access to.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old October 11th 19, 07:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:03:19 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How much force will be on the extension?

There is no way to know that. I was hoping that the strongest option would generally work best.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.