Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 10-32 Roll Form Tapping RPM

I've got a customer using standard HSS roll form tap tools from MSC
Direct, etc.

He tells me he wants to run my machine at 3600 RPM. My gut (and some
charts) tell me 600 RPM is more appropriate.

He is using coolant, the tap hole is through 1/16" to 1/8" "sheet metal"
parts and it's a manual process with ample down time between parts to
cool the tap tooling off.

Thoughts?

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trust your gut. Failing that, have attorney write up a liablity release. And
a guarantee that he will fix the damage.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I've got a customer using standard HSS roll form tap tools from MSC
Direct, etc.

He tells me he wants to run my machine at 3600 RPM. My gut (and some
charts) tell me 600 RPM is more appropriate.

He is using coolant, the tap hole is through 1/16" to 1/8" "sheet metal"
parts and it's a manual process with ample down time between parts to
cool the tap tooling off.

Thoughts?

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/21/2012 4:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Trust your gut. Failing that, have attorney write up a liablity release. And
a guarantee that he will fix the damage.

Yep. But I always ask when someone disagrees with me to the point of
possibly walking away from a sale.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The customer is always right.
Unless he's doing unsafe things with your tools.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
On 11/21/2012 4:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Trust your gut. Failing that, have attorney write up a liablity release.
And
a guarantee that he will fix the damage.

Yep. But I always ask when someone disagrees with me to the point of
possibly walking away from a sale.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just happen to have some 10/32 roll form taps I use for molds. I put a
drop of Tap Magic on them, and set my mini drill press at its slowest
pulley speed. It works great with my tapping head at slow speed. I have
never used my tapping head for steel. Usually when I have to tap steel its
something I can't fit on the table of the drill press. LOL. Also, my
tapping head is not rated for higher speeds either. I would have to go look
for the manual, but I think its rated for less than 1000 rpm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/21/2012 5:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The customer is always right.
Unless he's doing unsafe things with your tools.

Unsafe to me = something that requires me to fix their emergency
situation, possibly as part of a warranty coverage because they simply
can't see the situation from my perspective.

However, someone else posted something that got me thinking about the
maximum rated RPM from the tapping head manufacturer. If I can get some
hard numbers from them, that's enough to change the tide of the
conversation I bet.

Thanks to you and ALL for the comments and thoughts.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
On 11/21/2012 5:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The customer is always right.
Unless he's doing unsafe things with your tools.

Unsafe to me = something that requires me to fix their emergency
situation, possibly as part of a warranty coverage because they simply
can't see the situation from my perspective.

However, someone else posted something that got me thinking about the
maximum rated RPM from the tapping head manufacturer. If I can get some
hard numbers from them, that's enough to change the tide of the
conversation I bet.

Thanks to you and ALL for the comments and thoughts.

I think that was me, but I do not see my post here on TeraNews. I would
like to know how it shakes out though. As arrogant as I can be I am not so
arrogant as to say something is impossible. I've been wrong to many
times... If there is somebody tapping at insane sounding speeds I'ld sure
love to see it.

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://www.Drill-HQ.com/?page_id=226
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Also, a reversible tapping head is not the only way to machine tap. They
could have heard of somebody using a single point or multi point thread mill
with flood coolant at high RPMs, or maybe you can spin a floating tap holder
on a reversible machine (with serious braking capability) faster. I suspect
that I could do multiple passes with a single thread (multi point) thread
mill at very high RPMs (over 10,000) in a machinable aluminum. I don't
think it would be faster than just tapping with my tapping head at 600 RPM
though. Besides the tapping head with tap will make a better thread
(atleast on my machines) than machining an interpolated helix.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Also, a reversible tapping head is not the only way to machine tap.
They could have heard of somebody using a single point or multi point
thread mill with flood coolant at high RPMs, or maybe you can spin a
floating tap holder on a reversible machine (with serious braking
capability) faster. I suspect that I could do multiple passes with a
single thread (multi point) thread mill at very high RPMs (over 10,000)
in a machinable aluminum. I don't think it would be faster than just
tapping with my tapping head at 600 RPM though. Besides the tapping
head with tap will make a better thread (atleast on my machines) than
machining an interpolated helix.

Good point. These guys are kind of high end in that respect so it's
possible they have machining on the brain and have applied it to simple
tapping.