DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/640633-welding-vs-tapping-vs-roll-pin.html)

[email protected] October 8th 19 03:22 PM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Jim Wilkins[_2_] October 8th 19 03:42 PM

wrote in message
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods
end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish
this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a
roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want
to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this
rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

That sounds like an easy lathe job. Do you have one?

Bob Engelhardt October 8th 19 07:02 PM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

How much force will be on the extension?

[email protected] October 8th 19 11:04 PM

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I think there must be a lot you have not mentioned. Otherwise you would just use a longer rod to begin with and not have to do any attaching.

Dan

David Billington[_2_] October 8th 19 11:35 PM

On 08/10/2019 22:04, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I think there must be a lot you have not mentioned. Otherwise you would just use a longer rod to begin with and not have to do any attaching.

Dan

Exactly what I was thinking as otherwise you would just use a 4" long
3/8" rod. Maybe a high grade material on the end of a lower grade shank
but without knowing material specs and purpose of what needs joining
it's difficult to know. Mention of roll pin and tapping would seem to
indicate the materials can be drilled and tapped and maybe welded from
the OP question.Â* From previous postings I and others thought this guy
might be a troll so maybe why so little detail.

Leon Fisk[_2_] October 9th 19 02:14 PM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:35:39 +0100
David Billington wrote:

snip
From previous postings I and others thought this guy
might be a troll so maybe why so little detail.

Nah, he's cool. Been asking similar questions to that here for years
now. As I recall he lives in the city and has limited space for
machines. Repairs old arcade games like pinball machines :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

[email protected] October 11th 19 05:45 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

Yes, I have a lathe. What I don't have and was looking into getting is some welding equipment. (I have a little MIG welding experience from back in the early 80s).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

D_Harris October 11th 19 08:25 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods
end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish
this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a
roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want
to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this
rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

That sounds like an easy lathe job. Do you have one?

Yes, I have a lathe. What I don't have is welding equipment, yet. (I did learn MIG welding back in the early 80s).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

D_Harris October 11th 19 08:26 AM

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 5:04:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I think there must be a lot you have not mentioned. Otherwise you would just use a longer rod to begin with and not have to do any attaching.

Dan

It comes down to what I already have and have access to.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

D_Harris October 11th 19 08:27 AM

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:03:19 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How much force will be on the extension?

There is no way to know that. I was hoping that the strongest option would generally work best.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] October 11th 19 08:28 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

From previous postings I and others thought this guy
might be a troll so maybe why so little detail.

Nah, he's cool. Been asking similar questions to that here for years
now. As I recall he lives in the city and has limited space for
machines. Repairs old arcade games like pinball machines :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Nah, I stay away from Pinball machines.

This is actually another video game related project. You know the standard ball-top video game joystick? I plan to take them apart so I can make the joystick shafts longer.

Here's why. The bottom of most joysticks poke through holes in little metal plates. These are called restrictors. (Diamond shaped holes are used for a 4-way joystick). As a result, the movement of the joystick is restricted in the desired 4 directions (usually up, down, right, & left). This makes switch activation a lot more accurate.

I plan to remove the joysticks default restrictor so I can use a special restrictor I designed, which will be located at a lower position, therefore I need longer joysticks.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] October 11th 19 02:53 PM

On Friday, October 11, 2019 at 2:26:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I am still confused. WHat is it that keeps you from just using a longer rod?
I suspect it is that one end of the original rod is threaded. So what is keeping you from using the lathe and cutting a thread on a longer rod?

Dan

Leon Fisk[_2_] October 11th 19 03:41 PM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 23:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

snip
This is actually another video game related project. You
know the standard ball-top video game joystick? I plan to
take them apart so I can make the joystick shafts longer.

Here's why. The bottom of most joysticks poke through holes
in little metal plates. These are called restrictors.
(Diamond shaped holes are used for a 4-way joystick). As a
result, the movement of the joystick is restricted in the
desired 4 directions (usually up, down, right, & left).
This makes switch activation a lot more accurate.

I plan to remove the joysticks default restrictor so I can
use a special restrictor I designed, which will be located
at a lower position, therefore I need longer joysticks.

It the ball/knob on top screws off can you just add on there?

Maybe a coupler to match the old shaft thread and threaded on
the opposite end to match old ball.

A completely new, longer shaft to replace the old I think is the best
solution. I've watched people play before and they get excited,
upset... and way more pressure than needed gets applied to those
controllers :(

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

[email protected] October 11th 19 06:24 PM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 06:22:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Since you have a lathe then I suggest tapping. Use a roll tap AKA form
tap. These taps don't make chips so they are great for blind holes,
and they make stronger threads. You need to use a larger diameter
drill bit than for a cutting tap. Tap both part and assemble with a
set screw and red Loctite. Or tap one part and drill through the 1/2
inch part for screw clearance. Then use a socket head screw. And red
Loctite.
Eric

Howard Beel October 11th 19 08:24 PM

wrote:

I want to permanently attach 3/8" diameter rods to 3/8" rods end-to-end and
was looking for advice on the best way to accomplish this. The methods I'm
considering are welding, tapping, or use of a roll pin.

The rods will only be about 3-1/2" long, and the pieces that I want to
attach are 1/2" long.

Perhaps a combination of the attachment methods mentioned for this rod
extension project would be warranted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

You could friction weld the parts in your lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gahrN1tNDkM

Best Regards
Tom.

https://www.avg.com

Gunner Asch[_6_] October 17th 19 05:40 PM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 23:27:02 -0700 (PDT), D_Harris
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:03:19 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How much force will be on the extension?

There is no way to know that. I was hoping that the strongest option would generally work best.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

The strongest is welding.

Can you do a spin weld?
__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

[email protected] November 3rd 19 02:28 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

It's a joystick. And I can't find what I need in the size I need. So I figure I'll try to extend what I already have.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] November 3rd 19 02:31 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

The ball-tops don't screw on. They are molded onto the rods.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] November 3rd 19 02:47 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

The idea was to drill a 1-1/4" hole through the center of a 4 inch square piece of 2 by 4. And then cut it down the center into two pieces.

This would be the work holder for the joystick.

In the end there can be no protusions, and I'll need to round off the end.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] November 3rd 19 03:01 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

I'll look into that.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] November 3rd 19 03:03 AM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

This is new to me. I'll have to research it. It would seem to be the easiest way to get this done.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Leon Fisk[_2_] November 3rd 19 01:46 PM

Welding vs. Tapping vs. Roll Pin

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 18:31:47 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

The ball-tops don't screw on. They are molded onto the rods.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Have you looked through the different handles and shafts at McMaster?

https://www.mcmaster.com/control-handles

On the top left side of the link page you'll see a picture of a ball-top
shafted handle (Handle Style - Machine). Click on that and scroll down
the page. Maybe your could just buy the 3/8 inch ball top handle in 4
inch length and cut it to suit. Providing of course the bottom part of
it can be made to fit :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI